new at long range

jimmy cupples

I bow hnter and am taking up long range hunting this coming season. I am looking at some package deals because of finances. I am considering something in the 300 rum, or wsm. My budget is around 800.00. My goal is to start at around 500 to 750 yards Does any one have any thoughts for this scenairo.

I bow hnter and am taking up long range hunting this coming season. I am looking at some package deals because of finances. I am considering something in the 300 rum, or wsm. My budget is around 800.00. My goal is to start at around 500 to 750 yards Does any one have any thoughts for this scenairo.

i think you should reconsider your needs.
for what your considering a 308 win would be enough gun. they are cheap to shoot and very accurate. factory and surplus ammo is very available.
about 2 years ago we bought my then 10 yr old grandson a savage model 10 in 308. its probably the most accurate factory rifle ive ever seen.
varmit wgt fluted barrel with a factory brake, detachable magazine, big bolt handle and a good adjustable trigger.
dime size groups with handloads. we installed a 4x12 nikon buckmaster scope
which has target knobs and side focus. rocks at 500 to 700 are a piece of cake for that young kid and it dosent beat him up shooting it. you could later switch
barrels and boltface yourself to any other cartridge you desire including the large magnums. check out the savage shooters website.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts