New Antelope rifle arrived today !

Back in the day I used Rem Nickle cases for both my 6/06 (necked down 25) and for my 257 Wby (necked down 7 RM).

I kind of like nickle cases

What is involved with making 257 Weatherby cases from nickled 7 Remington Magnum?

Simple dies resizing? Case trimming? Neck turning? Etc.?

What is involved with making 257 Weatherby cases from nickled 7 Remington Magnum?

If it can be done I'd start with .264 Win mag cases. If you can't create a false shoulder then the longer throat in the Weatherby would require longer bullets be seated to touch or better to lightly jam. I wouldn't expect that you'd want turn necks on nickel plated cases.

Last edited:

Been a long time since I've done it but I don't recall doing anything but fl sizing down, loading and rocking on. Seems to me that the necks were a bit short but it didn't hurt a thing.

Alpha Dog, I want that rifle !!! I've been trying like heck to find one ever since you posted this.
Where was it made? Any secret places you shop for wood? I've found one .257 and a .300 with acceptable wood to me. I'll know tomorrow if they still have them.

I have a Swaro 5-25X50 on my 6.5 Creed. I love it, had Swaro build a turret, bad thing, I keep changing loads and the turrets are expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 245
Buzzsaw,
If you want some beautiful wood or a stock made from it, check out Wenig Gunstocks in missouri. They have any grade or price range you can imagine.
Regards. They've done 3 for me.

I've got a $2,000 budget for this rifle. I can buy a AAA blank for about $1000, barreled action, $2000, Gunsmithing $1500. Plus a year +wait. The Weatherby Deluxe MKV $1000- $2,000, Coopers $3,000. Winchester Super Grade $1200.

I don't need this wood rifle. Just a "want". The right rifle will come along, I just need to be patient

Reason top gun stock wood is so expensive is because the wood comes from the very base of the tree trunk. All the figure around ground level and above straight grain. The best rifle stocks are very figured in the butt though straight grained in the pistol grip, action and forend areas.

I have been watching a large walnut tree growing for over 50 years so might be ready shortly. This one is 60 odd miles from the coast so might be a little sappy and hard on the tools to work.

I've got a $2,000 budget for this rifle. I can buy a AAA blank for about $1000, barreled action, $2000, Gunsmithing $1500. Plus a year +wait. The Weatherby Deluxe MKV $1000- $2,000, Coopers $3,000. Winchester Super Grade $1200.

I don't need this wood rifle. Just a "want". The right rifle will come along, I just need to be patient
A Triple A grade blank shouldn't cost $1000 (http://rogervardystockwood.com/products). But, I don't think you could get a stock blank turned into a stock for $1500. And it shouldn't take a years wait.

Still need a barreled action, trigger, gunsmithing, etc
I just wanted to push back on the AAA blank costing $1000. There is lots of really nice stock wood out there at good prices if you know where to look. You should be able to buy a really nice stock blank for 1/2 your estimate, that will make anything the factories use look poor. Your estimated costs for stock making are way low, at $1500, though. That might make a good down payment of "good faith" for a bespoke stock.

Last edited:
Probably correct. My last stock was a side by side in highly figured Bastogne walnut. Cost of wood and fitted/finished stock was about 1600. Time was about 2 months from Wenig Gunstocks. Last rifle was years ago, Claro walnut. Don't remember cost or time.