New and Confused!

williammcgr

Hello everyone! New to long range shooting and I'm finding this hobby is the rabbit hole of all rabbit holes. So much to learn. Bought a 6.5-300 Weatherby at a banquet not knowing the nuances of owning a Weatherby. At first I was excited to up my riffle game but finding rounds is next to impossible. So this led me to LRH.com after the advice from a buddy of mine. Guess I'm going to have to look for brass then have someone who knows the ropes build me some bullets. I've already learned so much just from reading forums. The optics classified on this forum has me hooked too as a scope is needed. Glad to be here!

Welcome again from Arkansas! Promise yourself you will not spend another dime until 3 months have passed. Learn all you can until then. Thank me in about 4 months after you know what to buy to accomplish what you want to do.
#1 thing to research now is the terrain of where you will be hunting. How close and how far will your shot opportunities be. That will determine the equipment you need. Otherwise you could get caught up buying stuff you don't need and won't use. A lot of folks enjoy that hunt more than hunting game critters. I am the opposite. I want equipment suited to my own real world hunting. Not interested in spending xxxxx $ on exotic equipment as a form of self excitement.

Welcome to the addiction. Dont listen to these guys about dont buy anything for a few months. Right now, right this minute run to every gun/reloading store you can find and buy any primer they will let you get, any 6.5 bullets for your new rifle and any other caliber that you may buy in the future. Then pick the 20 best powders to start with, you can always buy more. Then buy up any and all rimfire ammo they will let you buy whether you have that caliber or not. Thats a good place to start.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts