New Alpha Munitions OCD 22 Creedmoor is bonkers

orkan

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Alpha Munitions has taken brass manufacturing to an entirely new place. If they had stock, I'd go broke buying it right now.

So, I tried to kill a piece. I mean, all brass can be loaded hot enough to fail, right?

I put 47gr of H4350 into the case on top a CCI-450. This put powder heaping above the case mouth. I carefully put it in the press and gently put a 75gr ELD-M on top of it, and guided it into the die. I crushed it in there with such force that the seating stem gouged the bullet. The seating depth was way off... because of crunching a full neck of powder. I ended up being jammed into the lands about 60 thousandths and had to pound the bolt closed.

Here's what that shot chrono'd:
dH0j8nLh.jpg

Here's what the case looked like when I ejected it. It didn't even come out hard.
WjBRxbYh.jpg

Calvin45

Jeepers man!!!!!!

Fantastic.

Goes to show that modern bolt actions can take a stupid amount of pressure without incident (though I wouldn’t want to feed it that load haha).

Also it’s interesting to me you didn’t blow a primer on that, no soot even! Good grief.

So you’d say this is a step up even over Peterson and lapua then? I have a Peterson brass load in my .300 win mag I’m most impressed with, involves a 120 Barnes tactx doing 4050 FPS, shared a thread on it a while ago. The brass is amazing but I don’t think it’s this level of indestructible. Again, good grief!

Just ballpark guessing how many kpsi do you think that hit?

Calvin45

Kinda makes the whole .277 sig fury concept a bit null and void doesn’t it? Who needs a weird proprietary steel/brass hybrid case rated for 80000 psi, and all the unknowns that come with that case design (has not been around long enough to be considered proven in my mind…I wonder about metal on metal reactions and corrosion over the long haul and it just hasn’t been here that long), when it turns out you can in fact make a brass case that can take it.

FrogFire7

@orkan

Is there concern about shearing lugs at pressure like that? I have no idea what bolt thrust is like on something like that, but I figured you probably do!

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor

-----------

Looks like they are catering to Creedmor. They have limited caliber offerings. They have .260 and 6mmBR that I will try since I shoot them, I have a good storage of Lapua Brass. I trust Greg's reviews so will give them a shot and wish the had some 6.5X284 brass.
I see that Greg stated that he got a lot of firings off of a case, but I am interested in how a "LOT" of this brass is consistent, what can we get for SD ES ? That means more to me that how long the brass lasts.
Thanks
Len

orkan

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
@orkan

Is there concern about shearing lugs at pressure like that? I have no idea what bolt thrust is like on something like that, but I figured you probably do!

In a standard action… yes. Yet a desert tech seems to take it quite well.

Recent Posts