New Alaska Rifle Tips?

My 375 H&H with my glock 40 10mm on my chest in its alaskan guide holster...10 mm might be lite but i doubt i could get off 2 shots in the seconds u have with 44 mag...

Last edited:
I have hunted all over the state for over 40 years and guided for 10. Your 30-06 is a good all-around gun to hunt with in Alaska, but.. If you are in coastal brown or grizzly country hunting, fishing, camping, or otherwise - it is a little light in the protection department. A 7mm Mag. is too small, as well. The minimum is a 300 Magnum (WM/WSM/WBY/RUM/Nosler+) when hunting other animals. If you are actually hunting coastal browns, then a 338 Mag. is the minimum. Add a break and don't worry about other folks' ears. Most likely it will never be an issue when in the field and practicing with a break makes sighting in a lot more comfortable (less jump & kick). As most have said - stainless (or cerakote) with a synthetic stock is the only way to go. Use heavy, copper, well-built bullets like the Barnes TSX, etc. for maximum bullet weight retention.

500 yards is not the way to go with coastal browns. I would recommend no more than 250 yards - preferably less. The main reason is terminal ballistics. You want knock-down power (energy) and velocity to make as much damage as possible with one shot, as that is about what you will get. Yes, they are that fast! You should also aim for the front shoulder (with vitals) to break them down or they will get in the woods - where the scale tips to their favor.

For reference, as a brown bear guide, I carried a 460 Weatherby with 450 grain Barnes TSX running 2,650 fps & 7,000+ ft lbs at the muzzle. As most will attest, that sounds like way too much of a gun for general hunting, but in a rushed situation, a running backup shot, or in the middle of a salmon/brush infested stream - jump-shooting 800 pound mallards (w/ teeth & claws) at 20-40 yards, you will want all the knock-down power you can get.

For all other hunting, I carry a 300 WSM with Barnes 165 TSX (3,290 fps & 3,600 ft lbs). It does the job for everything except brown bears, but still gives you pretty good assurance during a brown bear encounter.

Now, if you are just fishing or camping, then most carry a shorter 12 gauge with alternating good slugs & heavy buckshot.

Good luck in Anchortown.

I spent 7 years in Anchorage (Army assignment). I hunted all the time. I am 6'2", 200 lbs. I tried the 338mag and it shook me pretty hard. I went to the 300 Win. MAG, and it did everything I wanted it to. I got caribou, moose, and black bear. Could not AFFORD the cost of the guided hunt for grizz or polar bear. I would wait till you get to Alaska, look around, go to local gun shops and ask to test fire several weapons. I am selling my NEW Remington 700, CDL, stainless flutted, 7mm, with new LEUPOLD 3.5-10x50 scope, mount, rings and 3 extra stocks one of which is a nutmeg color thumb hole stock, TIMNEY trigger. All are new, never fired, just bore sighted. All for $1650. Good luck to you. Wish I was going to.
Nice rifle, good deal for somebody no doubt. One of my challenges when buying rifles is that I'm a LEFTY. Not only more limited in factory rifles off the shelf, but even more limited in after market stocks available. One reason I'm starting to do some shopping now as it always takes more time to get what I want and need.

Do you shoot LH then? I'm LH, but I shoot RH rifles LH'ed & don't own anything that could be considered a dedicated LH rifle.
I've never found it to be a problem, but I've also never put myself in the situation that you're looking at.

I have hunted all over the state for over 40 years and guided for 10. Your 30-06 is a good all-around gun to hunt with in Alaska, but.. If you are in coastal brown or grizzly country hunting, fishing, camping, or otherwise - it is a little light in the protection department. A 7mm Mag. is too small, as well. The minimum is a 300 Magnum (WM/WSM/WBY/RUM/Nosler+) when hunting other animals. If you are actually hunting coastal browns, then a 338 Mag. is the minimum. Add a break and don't worry about other folks' ears. Most likely it will never be an issue when in the field and practicing with a break makes sighting in a lot more comfortable (less jump & kick). As most have said - stainless (or cerakote) with a synthetic stock is the only way to go. Use heavy, copper, well-built bullets like the Barnes TSX, etc. for maximum bullet weight retention.

500 yards is not the way to go with coastal browns. I would recommend no more than 250 yards - preferably less. The main reason is terminal ballistics. You want knock-down power (energy) and velocity to make as much damage as possible with one shot, as that is about what you will get. Yes, they are that fast! You should also aim for the front shoulder (with vitals) to break them down or they will get in the woods - where the scale tips to their favor.

For reference, as a brown bear guide, I carried a 460 Weatherby with 450 grain Barnes TSX running 2,650 fps & 7,000+ ft lbs at the muzzle. As most will attest, that sounds like way too much of a gun for general hunting, but in a rushed situation, a running backup shot, or in the middle of a salmon/brush infested stream - jump-shooting 800 pound mallards (w/ teeth & claws) at 20-40 yards, you will want all the knock-down power you can get.

For all other hunting, I carry a 300 WSM with Barnes 165 TSX (3,290 fps & 3,600 ft lbs). It does the job for everything except brown bears, but still gives you pretty good assurance during a brown bear encounter.

Now, if you are just fishing or camping, then most carry a shorter 12 gauge with alternating good slugs & heavy buckshot.

Good luck in Anchortown.
Good info thanks, and yes I agree about the ballistics and bullet selection considerations. My OP was perhaps confusing as I don't have a desire to hunt the really big bears, though I might hunt a black. I was more concerned about not feeling naked if I faced with an unintended encounter up closer while on a moose hunt etc. I've never carried a large bore revolver while hunting and don't even own one. I mentioned 500yd max for other big game. Though some other people are into longer shots given the right equipment, I'm not comfortable with it.

I doubt that you will save any money by buying in L48 vs AK. Wait until you get here before making a decision. Where are you locating in AK?
Yes I was pleasantly surprised by the price of outdoor gear in Alaska. The Sportsmans Warehouse In Soldotna had a .500 S&W (King of the Kenai) for $1,150.00 I paid $1,100.00 for it in Tucson. $50.00 isn't worth the risk of getting it there. If I were moving to Alaska I'd wait until I got there to buy. Talk to some of the locals. But a word of warning, the stores in Alaska carry a lot of 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 HH & Ruger, etc. And please, ignore any advice given to you by the person that said to shoot a Griz out to 500 yards. Have fun in Alaska. I love it up there but couldn't live there!

.300 wm if you buy a gun at 8+ lbs recoil is negligable, add muzzle brake and recoil is similar to a .243. I shoot a 300 Weatherby as my go to gun with brake and can put 20 rds at a sitting thru it and never feel it two hours later. I'm 62 and have had extensive rotator cuff surgery. Don't hesitate on the 300

Good luck in Anchortown.

Agree fully!
My choice on lots of hunts in AK is 375AI with Barns bullets (yrs ago used original 300gr Barnes made in Denver). Today also carry a HiCap 460 Roland in a chest holster as backup.
When fishing remote places both the Rowland and short barreled 12ga with alt 3" 4 Buck and copper slugs

I have been traveling up in the big state since 1984 when you get an eyeball on those big bears you might just change your mind on a 3006 or 300. I always carried a Freedom model 83 in 454, then 338 06, 375HH or my trusty 45 70 lever gun. If you are up there a lot you might just take your camera.

I find the 300 win mag manageable for all but the smallest adult males even with 200 grain bullets.

BUT it will require practice. SHORT FREQUENT practice.

A 12 gauge running 3 1/2s kicks WAY harder than even a 416. I rarely here goose or Turkey hunters complaining about the recoil.

For the record I enjoy shooting my 300 mag but you can keep the 3 1/2s.

Yes'er,,, Alaska is a fun place to visit,,, I'm just South of it,,, many a trips up there 20 ish years ago... Fishing,,, camping and sight seeing mostly... One stint of work back in those years...

Either you like it or don't,,, I'm a loner my self when it comes to the out-doors,,, not much sence dragging folks into the bush that really don't want to be there... Ha

I packed a stub nose pump 12 with slugs years ago,,, now its just the rifle in hand and a can of brake clean...

All furry critters hate that stuff since it removes the moisture from the air and is hard on the eyes and lungs,,, the back-up to that is a bik lighter to add a spark. LOL

If your fast enough that is,,, don't watch the young Grizzly Bear chasing Elk video,,, Ha... Ain't no way for us humans can duct in time during and engagement...

This is where one hand rifle point and Jack comes in handy,,, 30' to 50' feet as fast as you can with clean full length strokes... Its game over if the unit jams...

Make sure you have all your papers if your driving from home state threw Canada to Alaska,,, you'ld be ok if your flying direct...

Locked hand gun in case with t lock,,, locked ammo as well,,, the Boarder dudes in Kanuck a Stan will run you threw the gears if your not up to speed on this... Fill out the papers or face loosing the hand gun and getting disqualified to enter the country... Big fine on top of that...

Up front or face the consequences...

The 338/06,,, 358,,, Marlin 45/70 leaver and a hand full of mid size cartridges solve the bear issues with mid / tame rifles...

Don't kid ones self,,, a 200/ 220gr Round nose is devastating to all furry critters,,, even if it's out of a 308 or 30/06... The 303 Lee Enfield with 212 gr'ers is pretty much the same in the up close and personal encounters of the furry kind...

I still have a box of boolitz from 30 years ago,,, first bullet in the chamber these days in the thick stuff... I have a fresh reloaded hand full in the pack... Theres getting to be more and more of these 9' Gophers up here in our parts,,, Ha.

Find what works for you and get at it,,, good times happen to those that put the boots on the ground

I relocated from Florida to Anchorage area last year, was a beautiful drive. I'm originally from Upper Peninsula of Michigan and retired from the Air Force in 2017. In addition to having your paperwork in order for taking your guns, realize that if you're going through Canadian National Parks firearms aren't allowed. You can bring ammo with you across the border, I believe up to 5k rounds.

I have 3x 300WM and think that they're about the best do everything round but if I were going to do a bear hunt I'd be getting a 338WM or 375. I have a 30-06 savage weather warrior that is substantially worse to shoot either of my 300WM because the shape of the stock causes the muzzle to rise up. I'll attest to fact that muzzle brakes can make it easy to shoot a gun all day but some people don't like them. They're especially useful when you're working up loads. I haven't got a 338WM or larger but I have a 45-70 to carry with me for close shots if needed.

Local Gun Ads
https://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_General/63_Guns_Hunting/

Well, I'm an old sedentary once thin guy with an affection for 300 mags, and have no problem with my Sako 300 WM or 300 Weatherby Weatherby. If you like already and don't even reload, there is lots of factory ammo available. Just listen to the guys above and go with a .30 you like. Just use a pad and don't lie down on the bench and roll it to the top of your shoulder. About the 500 yd, it doesn't sound like a defensive shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.