New Alaska Rifle Tips?

When I lived up there, I carried a tikka T3 in 338WM. plenty of gun, took 2 brown bears and a number of caribou. Watched the 338wm kill several moose. Lots of good over the counter hunting ammo available for the 338WM. Toward the end, when I stopped actively hunting big bears, I sold the 338 and used a tikka t3 in 300WM for several caribou. With a good suppressor the 300WM was the ideal hunting rifle. Tikka shows a T3 lite stainless LEFT HAND 300wm. https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/JRTXB431
I'd use that as your starting point for the perfect rifle. In time, add a better stock, maybe a suppressor and you'll have a one and done do it all killing machine.
Tikka T3 is great- had one before in 30-06 I gave my son when he moved to Oregon. My searches on Gunbroker and Ammoseek didn't turn this option up so thanks a ton for pointing this one out to me.

that's a pick up and shoot option too. has a decent scope, good caliber that'll kill anything you hit well. May not have the horsepower of the 300WM, but isn't a slouch either. And since it's being sold by wild west guns, they can probably do a brake before they even mail it to you if you want.

I have that scope (3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest) on two of my hardest kicking guns (Tikka T3 in .338 WM and on an ultra-light .308 Win) and it holds zero, optics are very clear, and it gives you the clicks you dial in FIRST TIME without needing to be shot a time or two to 'settle the scope' in. Those scopes cost about $400 'back in the day' if that helps you with your calculations. $1200 seems a bit high for a Tikka T3, but maybe the left-handers cost more? Still, if you find what you want and need, then the price is right.

I have that scope (3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest) on two of my hardest kicking guns (Tikka T3 in .338 WM and on an ultra-light .308 Win) and it holds zero, optics are very clear, and it gives you the clicks you dial in FIRST TIME without needing to be shot a time or two to 'settle the scope' in. Those scopes cost about $400 'back in the day' if that helps you with your calculations. $1200 seems a bit high for a Tikka T3, but maybe the left-handers cost more? Still, if you find what you want and need, then the price is right.
Ok, thought those scopes were going for more than that so yes the price seems a bit high for that package. If they still have it in stock when I'm ready to buy maybe they'll dicker a bit on the phone. Thanks

One piece of advice if don't like recoil and you say you are a large man. For over 20 years I hunted everything with a .460 Weatherby. EVERYONE who saw this for the first time ( especially Fish and Wildlife officers,) asked in very impolite ways.... generally starting with "WHAT THE ----" why? My answer was " Life ends at 460". I never had to look for the game unless it was 15 ft straight back. Where am I going with this......shoot a .460....8 or 10 rounds should do it...then tell me what you think of the recoil on a 300. This exercise helped alot of my friends and clients get over their recoil issues.

Sorry...and Kodiak island is no.2 on my bucket list....and if you needed to guess which gun I will be taking, and I have many,many... I would start at 460 and backed up with my .500 S&W. Nice thing about the 460...if you should happen to miss big bear....you can climb up the barrel and hide!

didnt see you were a lefty!!! welcome to the group!!:) I too found it a "pita" to find a decent rifle.....so I just built one. found a few actions you can start with, barrel of your choice (I like my Brux barrels) and a decent stock...

http://www.gaprecision.net/templar-action.html

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/remington/
home page for Brux
https://www.bruxbarrels.com/
bugholes has a few barrels on hand in 338 if thats your choice of cal.
http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1885.htm

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/r...0-left-hand-bdl-varmint-contour-stock-psv069/

I have hunted bear in Alaska a couple of times. First time I carried a 300 WM. The next time I moved up to a 375 Ruger. They are large and tough.

I spent 7 years in Anchorage (Army assignment). I hunted all the time. I am 6'2", 200 lbs. I tried the 338mag and it shook me pretty hard. I went to the 300 Win. MAG, and it did everything I wanted it to. I got caribou, moose, and black bear. Could not AFFORD the cost of the guided hunt for grizz or polar bear. I would wait till you get to Alaska, look around, go to local gun shops and ask to test fire several weapons. I am selling my NEW Remington 700, CDL, stainless flutted, 7mm, with new LEUPOLD 3.5-10x50 scope, mount, rings and 3 extra stocks one of which is a nutmeg color thumb hole stock, TIMNEY trigger. All are new, never fired, just bore sighted. All for $1650. Good luck to you. Wish I was going to.

LARGE & DANEROUS GAME (GRIZ) RIFLE....needed for Alaska trip, shots out to about 500 if needed. I'm a big guy and like 300 Win Mag, but hesitate buying one due to recoil. Don't want to buy a rifle I hate practicing with well enough to learn well at distance with with my scope. I like the 7mm Rem Mag a lot but am wondering if that's big enough for brown bear close range (including defensive role). I could use my 30-06 with 220's but there again same thing. Any Alaska guys, what do you recommend?

Not sure anyone brought it up, the .358 Norma Magnum has a little longer reach and would be my pick for the 500 yards and under-shot (might not be a good idea) with a substantial punch. There's nothing wrong with the .375 H&H but the .358 NM has better reach and in close; it will anchor a ****ed off Bear.

LARGE & DANEROUS GAME (GRIZ) RIFLE....needed for Alaska trip, shots out to about 500 if needed. I'm a big guy and like 300 Win Mag, but hesitate buying one due to recoil. Don't want to buy a rifle I hate practicing with well enough to learn well at distance with with my scope. I like the 7mm Rem Mag a lot but am wondering if that's big enough for brown bear close range (including defensive role). I could use my 30-06 with 220's but there again same thing. Any Alaska guys, what do you recommend?
I have a Christensen Arms Summit Ti in 338 RUM, has their muzzle break. Kicks like a 243 or less shooting 250 grain accubonds... tack driver. Get what you need with a break, you won't be disappointed...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.