New Alaska Rifle Tips?

As a guide years ago 458 win. mag . As hunting for a calf killing bear 2506
yes for someone that has never hunted Alaska and big bears use a mag large cal you may have a shot that is just not right but get something that will shot the full length of a big bear. I live here and have all the time to hunt and can wait for the shot I want at long range if some one is doing a once in a life time hunt and has a lot of cash on the line bring a large bore mag

Brownin g X-Bolt Pro series.

-> Stainless barreled action with burnt bronze Cerakote for all weather protection.

-> A fluted barrel, bolt body and bolt handle. The fluted barrel reduces weight, the fluted bolt body with Carakote means it never freezes up with ice and the fluted bolt knob makes for a good grip.

-> 3 lug bolt cycles faster than a 2 lug bolt (nice if a bear charges you!)

-> All weather carbon fiber stock with bronze Cerakote for concealment, factory bedded

-> Great 3 lever trigger, tough Delrin center feed magazine,

-> radial brake and thread protector cap included (shoot with or without brake)

-> Factory lapped barrel (helps accuracy by keeping copper buildup low)

-> 4 (four) screws for each scope ring (most secure ring mounting system)

Eric B.

Last edited:
I'm still just a little disappointed. We got recommendations as high as .416's and .458's...but no one jumped the shark and put out ".50 Cal BMG" (...there's still time!) Anyone? Come on. Just DO IT! Who could criticize going bigger still? I mean, Jesus, it's a BEAR. They are like The Terminator and we are all just little John Connor's out there.

A .30-06 Springfield with heavy for caliber, premium (Partition/Barnes) bullets CAN and WILL do the job. You might want more. You can suggest more. But the point is - it can do the job. It'd be my absolute minimum, but I'd roll the dice if that's all I had in my safe and the opportunity came up. And that's what Dutch was inquiring about.

It sounds like he's going to save his blued/walnut .30-06 for other endeavors and get a stainless steel gun in a synthetic (or laminated wood) stock in a bigger caliber IF he makes the move to Alaska. Seems like he got what he needed from this thread.

For the record Dutch, I hope you do make the move to Alaska so you can jump on here down the road and share some of your hunting stories with us.

you want a mess move to Canada as just a government job and pension . And absolutely a I give a **** attitude. at least trump has balls somewhere

As I said previously I use a 375AI in AK, gun was built by my brother with a little help from me. Scoped with 2.5x8 leupold with 3 rounds in the gun and sling weights 7#2oz. Has old Answer System break and Brown Precision Stock! I've taken several bears and elk with it! I took my first grizzly on Kodiac at age 16 (pre64 mod 70 with 4x Redfield) and my guide had an open sited pre64 458.
First costal was taken off an old fishing boat hunt. The other Hunter was using a 340 Weatherby and factory ammo, first shot was double lung at 100 yard and he shot the bear 3 more times before the guide hit the bear 3 times with a 45-70. The boat captain, deckhand/engineer,& I watched from the boat and we thought both Hunter and guide got nailed by bear as both ended up on the ground (Hunter tripped trying to reload and guide went to knee on second shot). Trust me they needed a roll of paper towels to clean themselves and same applied to the 3 of us on the boat.
Captain said "I thought they were dead, you are next don't mess up".
Two days later I took a Hugh bear with my new shinny light 375AI and it was a slam dunk at 55yards but I still was terrified after what I had seen until I knew mine was dead. Bottom line the other hunters bear had 4 hits with none penetrating very deep before the bullets came apart. The Hornady hand loads from the guide gun really did the job and he cycled that lever action like it was full auto! I'll never use anything smaller than a 375 on dangerous game. I used to make fun of a long time friend who used nothing but 375 bolt and a 470 Nitro Express double rifle on multiple trips to Africa, but after the incident above i never did again!

a lot of $ for nothing like a $20.000 harley that never goes anywhere and is a bad ride anyway..? like my buddies beautiful girl friend

Would you guys really want to take down a large grizz or brown at a distance with a 30-06? The poster seems he will not be with a guide if he is living up there. I would be comfortable with the 30-06 with heavy for caliber bullets in a defensive situation ... you are only going to get off one shot and it better be on the money. The poster is talking about a hunt situation of up to 500 yards, IMO would want something like a 375 H&H. I would not want to be the one bushwhacking for an injured bear.
Exactly. Put a big bear in the mix and the entire equation changes.

The last thing on God's Green earth I'd want to have on my hands is a wounded Grizz, much less a wounded grizz without a professional to back me up.

The .375 is where I'd start.

My 375 H&H with my glock 40 10mm on my chest in its alaskan guide holster...10 mm might be lite but i doubt i could get off 2 shots in the seconds u have with 44 mag...

You'd probably be amazed at how quickly you can empty five of six from a revolver under the influence of an adrenaline dump.

+P 10mm will get you close to the .41RM ballistically but .44m +P with heavies puts you in a whole new universe.

The 10mm will probably do a good job on an angry average or even large black bear but absent a perfect shot isn't likely to stop a grizz on the charge or that is already on top of you.

I was going to say a Montana model 1 9 9 9 and get them all the calibers and left handed I have the extreme weather and a 26 Nosler great gun
I see these Montana rifles a lot on Gunbroker but don't know much about them other than they look nice, and I assume they must be quality pieces. Will need to research them more when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.