New Action recommendations...

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
I was about to do a new build and I was NOT trying to be a cheap SOB but I was curious if you guys had any recommendations besides Surgeon, Defiance, and Stiller. (Stiller is the one I am least happy with....) The reason being that I own all three and was looking for another quality action for a new build.
Thank you.

Not too many people unhappy with any of those. I have a Defiance and 2 Stillers and can't really say one is much better than the other. I would be curious to hear why your opinion of Stiller is so low.

I'm building a rifle on a Bat Tactical Action that I got from Wolf Precision.
It should be done by next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
I have a Stiller Tac 300 and the bolt lift is very heavy..not sure why..maybe it has a heavy spring or could it be the Timney trigger?
What don't you like about yours.

Not too many people unhappy with any of those. I have a Defiance and 2 Stillers and can't really say one is much better than the other. I would be curious to hear why your opinion of Stiller is so low.

****!!! You are just like my wife. Always hear the bad. LOL
I said the Stiller was the one I was least happy with. The others are great and so is the Stiller.... I have had some problems with the ejection plunger getting stuck down/back on my TAC 300 so that is why I am least happy with that one. The others can be a bit pricey but you get what you pay for in this business and most any other.

I just wanted to hear any different opinions besides those.
Thanks

Easy as it goes.- REMINGTON 700 full blueprint, take it to a GOOD gunsmith and blueprint it 100%

Square face, 100% lug contact, square lugs, polish boltface, open threads to 1.0725.
Custom actions are good but for sure a Remington 700 squared would equal.
Besides dont have to spend the thousand with with $250 a good gunsmith will make the miracle.

Remington 700 -miminum $400. Blue printing- $250. Fix extraction timing - min $50. M16/ mini-16 extractor installed - $150/$175. That give me a total of $862.50 (averaging extractor install). And you've still got an unfluted bolt that really ought to fit the bolt bore better than it does (that 100% lug contact does you no good at all if the bolt is sloppy in the action). That's just an average, you might pay more for the action to begin with. You'd get a spring, follower and mag box, but I sell the crappy BDL factory bottom metal to someone that thinks it's "nice" (I don't!). And, to beat all, it has nowhere near the resale value a good custom action has. Don't get me wrong, I like Rem 700s, but they're no where near the value of a custom action. When you get that close dollar wise the custom wins, hands down.

Easy as it goes.- REMINGTON 700 full blueprint, take it to a GOOD gunsmith and blueprint it 100%

Square face, 100% lug contact, square lugs, polish boltface, open threads to 1.0725.
Custom actions are good but for sure a Remington 700 squared would equal.
Besides dont have to spend the thousand with with $250 a good gunsmith will make the miracle.

Uh oh...about to open a can of worms. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.