NEW 7 SHERMAN SHORT TACTICAL (SST)

Enjoying it thoroughly. 180 Hybrids, I settled on 3016fps for my model (based on drops) and in a short action. That's more velocity than I'm getting with my 7mag for the same weight of bullets. Rifle was overall what most would classify as a budget build (pre-fit barrel from PBB, KRG Bravo, Bighorn Origin, Harris bipod etc) but didn't matter, performance was still stellar and the rifle was able to compete really well. I ended up in the top 40, which for me is just stellar, couldn't have done much better honestly. Smacking targets at 1200-1500 at the match was incredibly rewarding.
Nice work! was that RL26?
What barrel and length?

Anybody shooting one of these in a 20" barrel and have any velocity data? I think this would make a nice hiking rifle good for elk and smaller, while still feeling from blinderless magazines (2.960" max COAL in my case, and I prefer to stay below 2.950" to give a little wiggle room).

Last edited:
Anybody shooting one of these in a 20" barrel and have any velocity data? I think this would make a nice hiking rifle good for Elk and smaller, while still feeling from blinderless magazines (2.960" max COAL in my case, and I prefer to stay below 2.950" to give a little wiggle room).
They will run 2850-2900 with a 20"

They will run 2850-2900 with a 20"
That a max load with 180 class? Trying to figure out what a realistic accuracy node would be for me, which tends to be 50-100 under max on most of my cartridges, especially as I deal with large daily temperature swings. I don't know if there's any temperature stable powders for these magnums, RL23 is the closest I can think, and I suspect I'll be losing some velocity.

Also, do you plan on having fully formed brass for this one like you do the 6.5? Just curious!

Thank you for producing these cartridges, I'm excited to put one together. I'll probably have this one spun up in 400MODBB to keep the barrel running a bit longer.

That a max load with 180 class? Trying to figure out what a realistic accuracy node would be for me, which tends to be 50-100 under max on most of my cartridges, especially as I deal with large daily temperature swings. I don't know if there's any temperature stable powders for these magnums, RL23 is the closest I can think, and I suspect I'll be losing some velocity.

Also, do you plan on having fully formed brass for this one like you do the 6.5? Just curious!

Thank you for producing these cartridges, I'm excited to put one together. I'll probably have this one spun up in 400MODBB to keep the barrel running a bit longer.
I think 2850 is realistic for accuracy. I would try some N560 also, if you have any.

H1000 is very temp stable, and RL26 isn't bad until you get to extreme highs. Both good powders for velocity in this cartridge. I'm not sure but Retumbo might also work decent.

RL26 has been a real mess for me in TX so I avoid it. Great velocities in the morning and primers popping in the afternoon. Up north it's been great, but when I load it as low as I need to for TX temp swings it's not any faster than other options for me. I'll look for some H1000. I'm curious if anyone has tried Reloader 23.

I could see it being too hot in TX for it. I ran it in a match in WY, temps reached the mid 90s (unseasonably warm for us, especially in June), but I had no issues, although I did keep my ammo in my pack at all times to keep the sun off of it and to insulate it from the ambient as much as possible. I only took my loaded mag out when it was my turn to shoot. I have heard of many reports of RL26 becoming problematic once you get into the 90s or higher though. But the Hodgdon powders would certainly serve you well.

Yeah, it's not uncommon to start off the day in the 70s and end in the 100s. We end up having to do multiple load variations for seasons with the temperature sensitive powders, and I just don't like the hassle so I give up a little velocity to stick to the temperature stable stuff. I appreciate the tips, I'll see if I can source some of these other powders.

Does anyone have experience with the 7mm sst in an AR10 platform? I have an Aero Precision M5 for a long range precision build. Need to choose the chambering next so I can order everything for the upper.