New 7 Mag Load

Savage with a Shilen 28" 1-8" twist #6 contour only fired 62 rounds perfect crown

You being in rapid, I would run down to the first stop and get some bullet proof samples of the 180 Berger and a few others, with that length and twist, you might like the results with a slower powder.

Elkhunter1983- what rifle??

Its a 2nd edition of a Sav 111 LRH. I bought the first one on here from a guy(who is now banned) and it turned out to be an absolute lemon. I sent it to savage to see if I could get them to put a new receiver on it and they sent me a whole new rifle. This one shoots well for a small barrel factory rifle so far, just like a lot of bullet jump I am guessing this is for what they gear their rifles toward which is accuracy with factory bullets.

What powders do y'all find shoot best?

My 3 best are H1000, Reloder 19, and Reloder 22.

Now I primarily use H1000 in all my magnum calibers. It tends to be more consistant, and it's less temp sensative.

I also second the Bullet Proof sample packs. Also second the Berger 168 and 180's with your twist rate.

I got about 30 180s in with a trade I was thinking about loading them with retumbo or reloader 25. I also have a box of Berger classic hunter 168 which have a regular ogive unlike the vld with a .314 instead of .316 BC (g7) they have them to me when I bought all the vlds they had. Have any of you seem or tried them?

I used the 168gr classic hunter last year with a stiff charge of H1000 and Fed 215M. it's a very solid 1/2min load my MV is around 2950. I've since switched to the 180gr Hybrids and Retumbo, it's another 1/2moa or better load. But my MV went up to about 3030. There is a pretty good difference in recoil too.

I used the 168gr classic hunter last year with a stiff charge of H1000 and Fed 215M. it's a very solid 1/2min load my MV is around 2950. I've since switched to the 180gr Hybrids and Retumbo, it's another 1/2moa or better load. But my MV went up to about 3030. There is a pretty good difference in recoil too.

Just curious. What charge of Retumbo are you running for your 180 load?

Rugger M77 Tang safety Boyds laminated thumbhole pillar bedded with Devcon Plastic steel, Douglass Premium Match #6 strait taper 26.5". My GS did a full work over on my action also.

I don't think I'll go the Douglass rout again though, better to go with a top man to begin with.

I've never had any issues with Douglas barrels...What issues are you having with yours?

Since I got my action so cheap I will probably go with the Rock Creek 5R for my build.

None other than for a long time it was a nightmare to clean, took 2 days. till I ran 1/2 of the last 3 grits of the Tubbs FL kit through it. It has always shot great though. It's lasted well though been on there for 10years now.

I'm really surprised you are getting over 3000fps with those 180's and out of a 26" barrel! I have got to try them. Do you seat the 180s on the lands?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.