New 6mm Bullets? Where is the Love?

hhack

Lately it seems like all the manufacturers have been designing new bullets (i.e. Hornady eld & eld-x, Sierra TMK, etc.) but non of them have come out with these designs in a 6mm. So when is the 6mm going to get some attention.

Lately it seems like all the manufacturers have been designing new bullets (i.e. Hornady eld & eld-x, Sierra TMK, etc.) but non of them have come out with these designs in a 6mm. So when is the 6mm going to get some attention.

Just to keep the conversation going-Which 6mm bullet niche would you like to see filled?

At least the 6mm has some good heavy-for-caliber long range bullets currently available (Bergers)... Try being a .25 or 8mm shooter. We got left WAY in the dust.

At least the 6mm has some good heavy-for-caliber long range bullets currently available (Bergers)... Try being a .25 or 8mm shooter. We got left WAY in the dust.

Yep all ou awsome 10 twist .25s huge market for them. Wish I would have choose my own twist with my Roy so I could have some made.

I would just like to see something in the 115 range to compete with the berger, I know this would be too long for most factory twist rates and maybe that is why nobody is making the heavy 6mms except for berger.

Also something to compete with berger in the 87 to 90 gr range would be nice. My rifle is 1:10 twist and like most, 95 gr and up do not stabalize

Are you after hunting or target bullets?

The biggest factor that dictates the availability for higher bc bullets for given calibers is the ability to stabilize them in the factory rifles that are out there. So many factory .243 cal rifles are 1-10" twist.

I think most rifle cartridges were designed for shooting 300y or less. As they designed different ones they used that 300y mark as the limit and made rifles that would get there faster and flatter. It was (and still is) about hitting your intended target without having to make any hold over adjustments.

It wasn't too long ago that nobody ever heard about twist rate. You just got bullets for your rifle and used them.

Here is a link to a resource that I use that will give an idea of what is out there.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reference/pdf/Twist Tables_Rifle.pdf

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts