New 6.8 cartridge (Western)

VLD Pilot

Hey all you .270 fans. Check out the new toy that just was announced today. 7.5 twist .270 and some heavy bullet options and factory loaded ammo.

So, who knows the ballistics on this 6.8 Western? Other than being in a short action and maybe making a slightly lighter rifle for hunting, What makes this better than a 270 with a 1:8 twist shooting the 170 berger at 2900 fps?
I haven't seen the down range numbers so someone who has help me out..
I have always been a fan of the .277 cal would like to see a good comparison.

So, who knows the ballistics on this 6.8 Western? Other than being in a short action and maybe making a slightly lighter rifle for hunting, What makes this better than a 270 with a 1:8 twist shooting the 170 berger at 2900 fps?
I haven't seen the down range numbers so someone who has help me out..
I have always been a fan of the .277 cal would like to see a good comparison.
You should be able to handload the 6.8 Western to about 3100 fps with a 170 eol and the right powder. Will run about 2950 fps give or take with factory loaded 170gr ballistic tips.

Factory ammo will be:
175gr tipped game kings
170gr ballistic silver tips
165 ablr
Roughly 2900 to 2980 fps among those three.

What's wrong with the 270wsm ? My next barrel will have a 1:8 twist which will suit the 170 Berger's
Won't fit in a short action with the long bullets and you can't buy an off the shelf rifle that can handle them because all of them are 1:10

From one of the reviews I gathered the following :-
1. 6.8 designed for heavier projectiles.
2. The 1 in 10 twist will give terrible accuracy if heavier bullets are loaded in a normal 270 Win. The ammo manufacturers will have negative feedback when uninformed shooters use such ammo. The best was to create a new platform specifically designed for heavier bullets.
3. Prieto9000 mentions the 1:10 problem with the 270WSM that will suffer with the same problems as I mentioned above in point 2.

Twist rate in rifle isn't the cartridges fault
As for length they both end up the same oal
I spose I'm lucky and have a tikka with a mountain tactical magazine and the longer bolt stop

From what I've read about it, the new 6.8 Western will duplicate/match the trajectory of the 7RM with the same weight bullet using less powder and producing less recoil. The cartridge was designed as a hunting cartridge first, and for PRS second.

It is the 6.5 PRC in 270.

The shoulder is pushed forward just enough that it won't chamber in a 6.5 PRC. Now you can have modern case design in your favorite Fudd bore size.

I saw this on Instagram yesterday and about died... 🤣

Attachments

• E43564F2-5171-4A5C-BC7A-A17189CE8613.png
    E43564F2-5171-4A5C-BC7A-A17189CE8613.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 108
It is the 6.5 PRC in 270.

The shoulder is pushed forward just enough that it won't chamber in a 6.5 PRC. Now you can have modern case design in your favorite Fudd bore size.
it is not a prc size case it is a wsm size case
PRC .532
WSM .555
lengths are the same but not the dia.

I guess my point in posting this new arrival was only because MAYBE just maybe now we will finally see some long heavy .277 bullet offerings in addition to the 3 offered for the 6.8 Western. Those 3 loaded offerings are a great start. Nobody offers a 7-8 twist barrel from the factory except custom makers (that I know of). I believe now you will see a few more offered for those that do not want a high end custom. For me, if I ever decide to build on a .277 cartridge, the bullets would vary from mid to heavy weight and that's worth building for. I'd probably do a .270 Win. Case capacity is roughly the same but needs a LA. The 6.8 can be done on a SA using those heavy bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.