New 6.5mm 144gr Hybrid

Que frustrated .375 and .257 guys in 3...2...1...

That in an impressive bc for a 140-145 class bullet. But...Lol. While I love seeing growth in shooting sports, it is getting somewhat comical the number of different 6.5 projectiles that Berger is making compared to the growing big bore long range guys, the .375's, .408's, .338's and while not big bore, the .257's as well are getting put on back burner for sure ha ha. I get it, they make what sells the best. It's still funny!!

Que frustrated .375 and .257 guys in 3...2...1...

That in an impressive bc for a 140-145 class bullet. But...Lol. While I love seeing growth in shooting sports, it is getting somewhat comical the number of different 6.5 projectiles that Berger is making compared to the growing big bore long range guys, the .375's, .408's, .338's and while not big bore, the .257's as well are getting put on back burner for sure ha ha. I get it, they make what sells the best. It's still funny!!
They just want to fill the ends of the billions of creedmoor cartridges lol hard to blame them for wanting to make money. I'm amazed how sleek they're making each crop of bullets, from the new tmks, rdfs, and a-tips to these ones

True,.... Give me another option to run in my 260 AI. I'm curious to see how it works on big game.
For sure, another good option. For those that prefer less explosiveness on game this may be an option, as it should have a slightly thicker jacket.

I personally have found my one and only true life-long love for my .260 AI, the 156 EOL. This may also be great for the creed and x47 guys that don't want to drop as much velocity as the 156 does in those cartridges.

I personally have found my one and only true life-long love for my .260 AI, the 156 EOL.
That's the bullet I'd ideally like to run. But I have a 1-8" 25" barrel so I'm not sure of the velocities I'd get.

That's the bullet I'd ideally like to run. But I have a 1-8" 25" barrel so I'm not sure of the velocities I'd get.
Ya. With Reloder 26, I send the 140's around 3070-3100 or so, 156's maxed out for me around 3000 or a shade under, I run them at 2940 with 49.0 grains for best accuracy (HBN coated bullets), pretty far below my max, with a 29" tube, 8 twist, @ 6600 ft elevation. Another member on here, Graywolf, has a 20" Tikka CTR rechambered to .260ai, so also an 8 twist, and with 48.5 grains rl26 is running the 156 @ 2725 fps, says accuracy is great. Gives you a rough idea where you would end up. You would end up in the 2800's I would say, maybe hit 2900 depending on where your node fell. RL26 doesn't seem to loose as much velocity with shorter barrels like some of the other slow powders do....

Anyway. I'll stop derailing.

Gives you a rough idea where you would end up. You would end up in the 2800's I would say, maybe hit 2900 depending on where your node fell. RL26 doesn't seem to loose as much velocity with shorter barrels like some of the other slow powders do....

I estimated about the same velocities off of your findings. 2900 fps would be great. But if the barrel doesn't perform it's nice to have more options ;)

I estimated about the same velocities off of your findings. 2900 fps would be great. But if the barrel doesn't perform it's nice to have more options ;)
Yup. My dad used the 140 Hybrid Target on one 4x4 mule deer, he shot it at about 120 yards, initial velocity was 2855 (6.5x55 24") and it performed great, about a 1.5" exit center body in the crease of the shoulder, perfect squared off broadside shot. Deer did a death sprint of about 100 yards and crashed into a fence. Judging from that, I would give these 144's a shot if they fit the bill for my cartridge, and/or if I lived at low elevation with an 8 twist.

6.5 is crazy popular in a lot of venues. Comp, target, predator, big game, etc. Like many I was shooting it before it became overly popular but here we are. I love it but it does get overwhelming. Heck I am running the 156vld and 135A in my PRC and the 135A in the creed. That little bullet is impressive, albeit, ridiculously over priced. I got my last batch on sale for the same price as bergers so I'm a little happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.