NEW 6.5 WIN. LONG RANGE MAGNUM!!!

When Winchester came out with their belted 2.50" case series in 1958. 458 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag. and 264 Win Mag. There was a lot of writing about the 264 WM, The ballistics of the 264 WM was based on the new Model 70 Western with a 26" barrel.
I bought a Rem in 264 WM 24" barrel in 1965 shortly after returning from the US ARMY. It shot good with 100gr. to 140 gr bullets available at the time. My favorite bullet to shoot for S&G was the old Herter's 6.5 mm 130 Gr. RN. The bullet was designed for the 6.5 Europe mil surplus rifles of the era. When taken to 264 WM velocities it turned groundhogs heads inside out. Blew several groundhogs into 2 pieces. It loved the H4831 surplus Paper Bag 75 cents a lb. + shipping powder of the era. I sold it. But never got to replace it with the custom rifle I planned to build.

The old 6.5 that I considered was the 6.5 Rem. Mag. It is a more efficient and less barrel burning round than the 264 WM. It was sort of the parent of the new WSM and Rem. SAUM of around 2004 era.

I planned a custom rifle years ago in 6.5 Rem. Mag. Wilcox improved. Like many factory loads they have a 25 degree shoulder angle for dependable feeding from the magazine of factory rifles. My friend, Gunsmith Chuck Wilcox, Had a drawing for a 6.5 Rem. Mag. Wilcox Imp. reamer with 40 degree shoulder and less body taper. We never got to build it, Mr. Wilcox was killed in a freak accident before the rifle became a reality. RIP Chuck.
"It loved the H4831 surplus Paper Bag 75 cents a lb. + shipping powder of the era". Wow were you in WW II???:):):rolleyes: I too remember the 4831 in the waxed paper bags for $.75 along with BLC for the same prices in the waxed bag. And.......4831 went into everything that would shoot. Dropping powder and keeping it in the funnel so that it could be tamped down into the 30-06 case until you could get the powder level below the top of the case. And.......I had one of those "barrel burning" Rem 600s with the laminated stock, then the real hot 6.5 came out with the Rem 660 with the slightly longer barrel and the laminated stock and Remington removed the ridiculous raised rib on the new design. Both of these rifles made great deer rifles, light, accurate and handy. Not too many people had chronographs, if any, and we had to take what the manufactured listed the ballistics at. I am one of those who likes to hang onto the old calibers, because when I do they bring back great memories of great moments in the field. And....I do not believe that hanging onto those memories and those calibers is anymore close minded than the folks who are promoting the newer calibers. From where I am sitting 100-200fps really does not make that much difference to me. If we look at all the hype that is going on with the new and faster calibers, the .270 Winchester is still a contender in the shooting world. And for the critics, I am not a .270 fanatic! The "real" rifle "back in the days" for me was the Remington 742 Woodmaster in 30-06; and "back in the days the "06" carried a lot of weight for almost any kind of hunting. When the .264 Winchester came out in the model 70, we came upon a hunter that had just shot a deer at about 10 feet while he was eating his lunch and listening to his small portable radio; true story the deer had a death wish. We were about five miles back, on a tote road in Greenville, Maine near Moosehead Lake. I remember my father saying, "A .264 magnum", and my response back was, "Yeah but they're not very accurate", and who needs a .264 magnum anyway." We both were carrying our bad *** Rem742 Woodmaster "06s". If I remeber correctly there was a problem with accuracy when the .264's came out, maybe twist was the problem. I wouldn't hesitate to build or own one today. So......maybe some of the resistance to the new, hot calibers of the modern shooting world is not so much going to a new caliber, but giving up the nostalgic memories that come back to us when we see threads about the older ones. I was asked by my significant other the other day about why I spend so much time on this forum. My response was, "Because it is like going to a gun shop and talking guns, or sitting around a campfire at an outfitters camp and talking guns and hunting." And I am done with this dissertation. Happy and Healthy New Year to all of the readers in this forum.

That's funny, a guy holding a Remington 742 and criticizing the accuracy of *insert any model here*
Hey!! We're talking lots and lots of years ago. Dinosaurs were still in season when that comment was made! I'm pretty sure that comment about .264 accuracy due to the twist was true though. And........back then the Rem 742 "06" Woodmaster (16 inch barrel) was a kick *** rig for hunting deer, and most of them shot MOA at 100 yards with 180's; more than adequate for deer hunting in Maine.

Nice. You need to teach her though to use the bag to support the stock, not the barrel.
That was a post shooting picture. There is no one in my family shooting anything with the barrel resting on the bag. I took the picture and seen the barrel on the bag. I told Sis to set the rifle on the bag and then I took another picture. Good catch! I wasn't paying attention when I posted the picture. lol

Attachments

• EDA8FBCE-5A9F-4AF6-9A08-BF40308B1FB4.jpeg
    EDA8FBCE-5A9F-4AF6-9A08-BF40308B1FB4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
  • EFE6BC4C-6C11-43BC-8415-20533F7766E8.jpeg
    EFE6BC4C-6C11-43BC-8415-20533F7766E8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
That was a post shooting picture. There is no one in my family shooting anything with the barrel resting on the bag. I took the picture and seen the barrel on the bag. I told Sis to set the rifle on the bag and then I took another picture. Good catch! I wasn't paying attention when I posted the picture. lol
Good to know.

I own a 264 WM and frankly love it. Yes, I know it's "hard on barrels", but I really don't care....I'll set it back and re-chamber it after +/- 1000 rounds or buy a new barrel, it's just an expendable costs associated with this hobby, no different than brass, bullets, etc.

It shoots like a laser with Retumbo and 140's. The gun has proven itself to be very accurate out to 1,100 yds. I built the rifle in 264 WM because I wanted something different than the usual 284 or 30 cal magnum most guys shoot around here. I also had a donor magnum action that was not being utilized, so a call to Kreiger and McMillan resulted in a nasty 15 lbs bean field rifle that will stretch a deer out like no body's business.

I will forever own a 264 WM if for nothing more than nostalgia, we'll also because it's a badass round that has benefitted from new propellants and powder over the last 10 years.

Ok with so many pages on this thread, which is AWESOME!, I may have missed an elusion to this new cartridge.

https://westtexordnance.com/6-5x280ai/

Anyone have any experience?
This is a perfect example naming a cartridge just right to make it it sell. This is a 6.5-06 ackley improved. BUT!!! people see the "06" in the name and immediately lose interest. 6.5- 280 ackley is a much better name without the 06 in there. Sure the shoulder might be moved forward or back just a bit from a 6.5-06, I don't know. But tweak an already existing cartridge, throw a fancy name at it, at just the right time (during a 6.5 craze) and boom! You just made money. This is my exact reasoning for naming this thread the way I did, put the words 6.5, long range, in the same sentence and all the 6.5 creedmoor/ PRC guys wet their panties a little bit. If I had named this "264 win mag, bla bla bla" I might have had a two page response

This is a perfect example naming a cartridge just right to make it it sell. This is a 6.5-06 ackley improved. BUT!!! people see the "06" in the name and immediately lose interest. 6.5- 280 ackley is a much better name without the 06 in there. Sure the shoulder might be moved forward or back just a bit from a 6.5-06, I don't know. But tweak an already existing cartridge, throw a fancy name at it, at just the right time (during a 6.5 craze) and boom! You just made money. This is my exact reasoning for naming this thread the way I did, put the words 6.5, long range, in the same sentence and all the 6.5 creedmoor/ PRC guys wet their panties a little bit. If I had named this "264 win mag, bla bla bla" I might have had a two page response

I kind of agree, but you can buy 280 AI brass and just neck it down which makes the 6.5x280 AI a more accurate name than calling it a 6.5-06 improved. Plus the 280 isn't exactly a necked up 30-06, the shoulder position is a little different.

Remember though that the 264 Win mag was marketed with the name Magnum specifically to help with marketing. It was done in the past and it will be done in the future because it worked in the past and it will work in the future. That's just how marketing works.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.