New 6.5 Idea

Well... yeah, that would be quite slow.... going from memory, my 300 RUM is maxing @ 92 gr of Retumbo with a 210 Berger and 98 with a 180 E-Tip. 100 gr is approx 100% case capacity with bullets seat up into the necks.

Can you link a thread?

Having trouble uploading it but it was posted 1-29-13 by AZShooter on this forum.......Rich

Excellent job, men
RHB i dont know why you were so worried, you should be working in remingtons R and D department I know from my own experience with you that your smarter than any of those guys.

RHB desinged my 270 amp and I couldnt be more happy with the way it shoots.

Goodgrouper also did my load development. Steve has built me four 6.5X47 a 223 ackley a 6br and a 7mm wsm all have shot great and they all look great as well.

RHB has helped me with all my projects, know one can bed a rifle like RHB, his work is the definition of a perfection.

these guys are the real deal and have become good friends, they really know what they are talking about and we could all learn from there experience.

I will try and post pics later (when my daughter is around to do it for me)

Again great job I knew that thing was going to shoot, now if I can just get RHB to do some of those brass for me

Thanks for the compliments 270, I'll get you the twenty bucks I promised for bragging us up in your post!!! You've been a great customer and great friend !! ---- RHB

Goodgrouper, i have read most of your threads 2x or more and i must stay i am very thankful for all the knowledge and experience you have brought to this website. I have enjoyed reading about your hunting experiences and some impressive shots you have been a part of. Your threads have helped me move along on my way of LR hunting and shooting more than you could imagine. Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks.

Riley

Thank you very much Riley. That is very nice of you to say. I was really debating whether or not it would be worth it to post here after my many year hiatus, but your post solved that matter in my mind. I wish you the best of luck and good shooting! And if there's anything I can do in the future to help, drop me a line anytime.

Grouper, we could not have done without you and your $.10 comparator !!! As we have been friends and Partners for many years, working together to make other folks guns accurate, it was great to see you come back to LRH and post again!! Folks have been missing out on your hunts, projects, and expertise for the last three or four years.

If you guys out there don't know Goodgrouper, do a search and you will see why Barnsuser made that statement in his post. Steve and I are lucky to be working with Grouper on a daily basis 'cause nobody can develop a long range load like Goodgrouper !!!! I hope he will continue to post.------ RHB

Thanks RHB and Steve! Sure means a lot to me.

Has it really been four years? Wow! There were some great long range hunts and tests in those years. Even a few with my new camera! Probably ought to start a seperate thread about those things though I suppose?!

Today I sat at the bench filling a fired but sized case with all the powders that might work in the BPX case. I built a wood dowel with a boat tail that pushed into the case to simulate a 140 Berger seated to the correct depth and then swirl charged with a long drop tube to get the max in the case. The results.

VV 160-- 50 gr.

IMR 4831-- 50.4 gr.

RL 19 ----- 51.3gr.

H 4831----- 51.2 gr.

RL 22 ------ 50.1gr.

RL 25 ------ 50 gr.

H 1000 ---- 51.3gr.

Retumbo -- 49.2 gr.

Quick load says that IMR 4831 and RL 19 are the only viable choices to get into the 3000 plus fps range. I suspect RL 22 would be a candidate also but the others are probably way to slow.

I guess It's time to hit the range with three more shot strings!!

Thanks for the quick load info Steve.---- RHB

Thank you very much Riley. That is very nice of you to say. I was really debating whether or not it would be worth it to post here after my many year hiatus, but your post solved that matter in my mind. I wish you the best of luck and good shooting! And if there's anything I can do in the future to help, drop me a line anytime.
Goodgrouper, I am VERY excited to hear that you are going to be posting more often, and i cant wait to hear about some more of your long range kills and bullet tests ( i am really into bullet testing myself, and know more about bullets than your average 14 year old :)), and especially about the 338 M.O.A.G, that is one sweet rifle!

BTW: You need to get that exploding goat video up and working, i didnt get a chance to see it and its killing me!:D:D

Riley

Talked to 270 win short today he told me about this thread, darn now i want a new gun. This has been a joy to follow. Those groups with different loads are amazing. I have one of the three 270 amps rhb was talking about what a fun gun to shoot. This new 6.5 sounds even funner . I know rhb puts quality in all he does. Great thread guys

Wow, I must say that round turned out great with some real potential!

So this question is open to anyone with some experience to which powder might work best for pure accuracy without too much trial and error in a 6.5/300 WSM, since barrel life could be limited.

My current load is 65.0 grains of Retumbo behind a Sierra 140 gr. GK @ 2.400" ogive length. It shoots 3/8" groups @ 100 yards, but only at 2990 fps average 20' from the muzzle w/ a 24.5" barrel. I was hoping this would keep it shooting great for a longer period of time?

I tired IMR 7828, 7828 SSC and H4831 during barrel break in with little luck. I'd like more speed but I don't want to give up anything in the accuracy department. I have a box of 140 gr. Matchkings I'm thinking of toying with, but I hate thinking of all the load development it might take to produce another better round.

I have enough magazine room that the 140 gr. Matchking's will seat with the Boat tail taper right at the neck/shoulder juncture in the case. So my hope is that it should shoot well if I can find the right powder. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Liltank, the 270 AMP is a cartridge I designed on the 7mm Dakota case. It has a 40* shoulder and reduced taper and necked to .270. It shoots the 170gr bullets at 3050 -- 3075 fps and has proven to be very accurate!! ---- 7mmRHB

270 lefty. thanks for the endorsement . I remember yours being the one with the bolt on the wrong side!!--- RHB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts