New 6.5 Idea

Sorry Rich I was tired last night didn't read your question.

26" Barrel, and it looks like we have about the right amount of gas out the top brake, this light little gun stayed right on the rest. RHB was having so much fun I never shot the gun but it looked like if his eye left the target it was just for a split second, should be able to watch your hits even at a short range.

Thanks

I like what I'm reading.
It is great that your thinking out side the box so to speak. Not just going with the commercial norm. I wish I had the knowledge and time to try something like this myself.

H4350 0.5130
H4831SC 0.4301
IMR4007SC 0.4890
IMR4831 0.4421
N160 0.4660
RL17 0.4700
RL19 0.4500
RL22 0.3860

Here's the BA Burn rate of the powders around the range we have to work with.
Looks like the mid .4000 is maybe where we will find what were looking for.
Accuracy seems to be there at a large range of velocity so maybe we can get a little more and still get some good numbers and accuracy.
That kind of accuracy and we haven't played with nodes, seating depth, this could get interesting.

I think that cartridges like this could very well be the next step in the evolution of centerfire cartridges, of all calibers.

You have shown that an efficeint case design, that is not over bore can run neck and neck with any cartridge out there velocity wise. without burning so much powder that the throat is gone before you ever get a decent load worked out!lightbulb

And the best part about it is, that by NOT, getting "Magnumitus" you have developed a supremely accurate cartridge that so far seems to be extrodinarily easy to load for!lightbulb

Way to go fellas, really cool!

I forgot to ask as well, have you ran this through Quick Loads or anything like that to see what kind of chamber pressures you are getting?

Thanks for the kind words guys!!! We appreciate all the replies from those interested in our new cartridge. I hope the folks who have just dropped by for a look have found the thread interesting to read as well !!
When you start out on a project like this one you need to have confidence in your idea and the ability to solve the many problems that come along during R+D. Having said that, I will admit to being stressed out yesterday, not knowing if we were about to crash and burn or live up to our claims!! I'm glad it went the way it did so I can relax a little bit going into the rest of the testing!!
I hope we can find the perfect burn rate for the 6.5 BPX but I have no problem with RL 17 as a Default powder choice, as you can probably imagine !! ----- RHB

Redneck, Steve has the quick load program so maybe he'll let us know what the approximate pressures were. ---RHB

I ran pressure models on the h2o capacity before the case were fireformed and thats where we came up with H4350 but the increase of volume from taking some of the taper out has changed things a bit. I'll have RHB get me h20 levels on this brass and I will put it back in I'm guessing 65000 or less???

Goodgrouper came to help us with his Oehler and to give some moral support.

More importantly, I brought the all-important numismatic size comparison object! Ha, ha! But if I had known how good that boomstick was going to shoot, I'd have brought something smaller!

Good job fellas............I think you're on to something there. You might have well created the ultimate long range sheep rifle. Of course, it wouldn't be too bad for anything else either! 200 yard benchrest in nasty conditions would really be fun........

More importantly, I brought the all-important numismatic size comparison object (the 10 cent piece)! Ha, ha! But if I had known how good that boomstick was going to shoot, I'd have brought something smaller!

Good job fellas............I think you're on to something there. You might have well created the ultimate long range sheep rifle. Of course, it wouldn't be too bad for anything else either!
Goodgrouper, i have read most of your threads 2x or more and i must stay i am very thankful for all the knowledge and experience you have brought to this website. I have enjoyed reading about your hunting experiences and some impressive shots you have been a part of. Your threads have helped me move along on my way of LR hunting and shooting more than you could imagine. Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks.

Riley

Grouper, we could not have done without you and your $.10 comparator !!! As we have been friends and Partners for many years, working together to make other folks guns accurate, it was great to see you come back to LRH and post again!! Folks have been missing out on your hunts, projects, and expertise for the last three or four years.

If you guys out there don't know Goodgrouper, do a search and you will see why Barnsuser made that statement in his post. Steve and I are lucky to be working with Grouper on a daily basis 'cause nobody can develop a long range load like Goodgrouper !!!! I hope he will continue to post.------ RHB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.