New 6.5 creedmoor rifle, bergara Ridgeback

Padmi

Hi guys

You helped me in my first steps in Long Range Shooting. After 14 years shooting pistol (currently I am 31 years old), I switched to rifle and long range shooting. Here my presentation on the forum:

Now I changed my rifle, my last bergara HMR was changed by a Bergara Ridgeback 6.5 creedmoor. Incredible accuracy! Certification submoa in HMR had 12.5mm and not it has 5.2mm

I have developed two good recipes for the last rifle, one with hornady eld m 147 tips that are currently out of stock. And a second option with 142 Sierra hpbt bullets. Since the barrel of the new rifle has the same specifications (length & twist) as the last one, will the same reloading recipe work well? I understand that I just have to readjust the OAL, but more or less the starting point could be the same.

Also, here in Spain most of hunters and shooters have not experience in long range shooting, so I have created an instagram account in English and Spanish to share advices, sample and easy advices. It is useful to me since to add new posts I need to read and improve my knowledge. I realized that most of people spend a lot of time and money in stupid topics. But many times they forget the most important factors such as breathing, posture and knowledge of the wind. A friend says there are two types of people: shooters and reloaders. My account is focused on practical, inexpensive recharging but with good precision, but I am starting. At 900 meters away I am taking a deviation in the entry velocity of my ammunition at that distance, of 1.8 m / s deviation for 20 shots

So now this is my second step, purchasing a better rifle, the barrel comes from the US and it is assembled here in Spain, in bergara facilities. The selected a good barrel to me so I hope now I can shoot longer.

Regarding the recipe, do you guys think I can use the last recipe to develop a new ammo? I think powder charge should be the same and only OAL should be updated.

Thanks so much in advance for the advices!

It may work. But was your old load anywhere near max. Usually, it is better to work up a new load for each individual rifle as each chamber and barrel is slightly different, even if consecutive barrels cut with same reamer. At the very least, I would back the load down a couple grains and work back up and likely do a seating test first. With experience, one may be able to take some shortcuts

I agree with the above. Every rifle is likely a little different. Start a couple of grains lower and work back up to your present load. The new barrel may like a little less- or more! Seating depth may also be a few thousandths different.

Find "0" ( touching) for bullet seating in your new chamber. It will likely be different for bullet seating than your old barrel as well.

Thanks guys. The lenght of my cartridge was 71mm (sorry for the units but I am from Spain, I am engineer so I know about inches but... I hate them, a bad experience in the University)

Next I will measure the lenght in my new chamber.

my best load in my last bergara works very well at 1.5 from the "rifling??" I don't know the word.Do you think I should start 1mm from the rifling? And then go slowly to minimum saami?

thanks a lot! I hope I will visit your great country next year again

Hi guys!

Yesterday I was reloading to check my new loads in the rifle. I got a question, my last rifle barrel was
24inches length
19mm of diameter,
1:8 twist
4140 carbon steel

The ridgeback (the new one):
24 inches lenght
21mm of diameter
416 stainless steel

So steel is different and also diameter.
I realized in the new one, rifling is further away from the previous one. I always followed saami measures to use the maganize

My best recipe to the last rifle:
Hornady ELD M 147GR
BR 4 primer
Lapua shell
41.5 grains of RS 60 powder (european brand)
OAL 2.75in

Do you guys think that I can start from the old recipe? I will make the following trial
Powder charge: 41gr 41.3 and 41.5
OAL: 2.75in, 2.8in and 2.83in

My question is, if the diameter and the material of the barrel changes, do you think both barrels will have a similar accuracy with the same load?

Thanks so much in advance

Barrel harmonics will be somewhat different, but load for new barrel will likely be somewhat similar. Start below old load and work back up (or past if not max) to the old load. If distance to lands in the chamber is also different you'll likely have to find a new seating depth preference as well. The new load will probably be somewhat close to the old load. I load for 3 different 6.5 CMs. 2 (same brand) will shoot the same load well. The other has different CBTO length and slightly diff powder charge preference.

Barrel harmonics will be somewhat different, but load for new barrel will likely be somewhat similar. Start below old load and work back up (or past if not max) to the old load. If distance to lands in the chamber is also different you'll likely have to find a new seating depth preference as well. The new load will probably be somewhat close to the old load. I load for 3 different 6.5 CMs. 2 (same brand) will shoot the same load well. The other has different CBTO length and slightly diff powder charge preference.

Good morning in Europe :)

Two days ago I was checking my loads for the two tips that I like to use: hornady eld m 147 and sierra hpbt 142gr

The best recipe in my old rifle it is the one that works better in the new one. Exactly the same, I tried with three charges of powder, close of the old recipe, and three OAL dimensions per charge.

5 shoots per group and the same load that worked fine in the bergara hmr 6.5 creedmoor, it is the one that now works fine again.

I did the same with sierra bullets and the result was the same. The barrel lenght and twist are the same,

one point. The rifling is so far in this barrel, if I set the bullet close of the rifling, could not use the magazine, and also would have little crimp. The same with sierra bullets.

I am getting good results close of minimum saami lenght. My best friend Ivan, that uses a remington milspec 5r, 308 has the same experience, his ammo works fine close of minimum saami

Hi guys!

Yesterday I was reloading to check my new loads in the rifle. I got a question, my last rifle barrel was
24inches length
19mm of diameter,
4140 carbon steel

The ridgeback (the new one):
24 inches lenght
21mm of diameter
416 stainless steel

So steel is different and also diameter.
I realized in the new one, rifling is further away from the previous one. I always followed saami measures to use the maganize

My best recipe to the last rifle:
Hornady ELD M 147GR
BR 4 primer
Lapua shell
41.5 grains of RS 60 powder (european brand)
OAL 2.75in

Do you guys think that I can start from the old recipe? I will make the following trial
Powder charge: 41gr 41.3 and 41.5
OAL: 2.75in, 2.8in and 2.83in

My question is, if the diameter and the material of the barrel changes, do you think both barrels will have a similar accuracy with the same load?

Thanks so much in advance
Hello
Two identical rifles can should two completely load data my friend.
My best bet is finding the HOT PRESSURE and then back down, can you find H4350 or staball 6.5 powder in Europe?

happy reloading and shooting,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.