New 6.5 CM Build Help

ramrod79

SO I decided I wanted to do another build ( on a budget this time LOL ) thought I was gona do a 264 win mag but then thought about it for a bit and changed my mind to a 6.5 CM . I will list my build specs I would appreciate any helpful info as I have never built off Savage action before so it is a bit new to me I am also using this gun as my walking hunter/ long-range target shooter so I want to keep weight down to no more than 7.5 LBS.

Donner rifle :
Savage 116 243 with accu-trigger - would you guys use the accu-stock or should I just get the model with regular stock? I have found both used just don't know if I will need accu-stock for the extra $$

Now barrel length and contour??? I am using Benchmark again ( prefit from Benchmark) ,and was thinking either a sporter #3 non fluted or a #4 fluted and still up in the air on barrel length for this cartridge should I go 26" for extra velocity or go with 24 " will I gain much with this cartridge in a 26 " is it worth the extra weight ? Will I need a different barrel nut and lug?

I will not be doing any action work to this rifle basically going to screw on a custom pipe, hydro dip the factory stock, and start shooting .

The accu stock will have to be milled out if you use a heavier recoil lug.My Creedmore is built more like a F class rifle I have a 30" straight 1" contour on mine.If you load with reloader 17 you can pick up some velocity from factory ammo.

Thanks I will use factory lug then , and what kind of velocities are you getting I was either going to use 130 or 140 berger leaning on the 130 though .

That is warm I was hoping to get that in a 24-26 inch barrel but still unsure what length to go with maybe I will split difference at 25 call it good with a # 3 fluted 1-8 twist .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.