New 6.5-284

RL23 works really well in the 6.5-284 and you don't get the temp issues that RL26 can have. I learned first hand about the pressure spikes of RL26 over temps of 85 degrees in my 6.5-284. The Berger 140 VLD is pretty much a "perfect storm" of a bullet in the 6.5's. It just performs very well and gives great accuracy. The sweet spot for most 6.5-284's is 2950 fps, some down to 2900 and others up to 3000 depending upon your barrel. H4831sc is another great powder, and using others in this burn rate will work very well

Mind telling us more about your rifle? Is it the Clymer or Magnus setup? What barrel? or maybe you even have a pic to share?
I believe the Magnus. I'll try to attach photos.
I'll probably change out the scope...I have several on hand to use that are better than the Leupold that is on it.

Attachments

• E870328F-42AB-4405-82EF-1B9EAF9AADDE.jpeg
    E870328F-42AB-4405-82EF-1B9EAF9AADDE.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 134
  • A4611D70-4459-49FF-9608-1851D6E7CA8F.jpeg
    A4611D70-4459-49FF-9608-1851D6E7CA8F.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 145
Yep. That's it. Very nice rifles. And customer service 2nd to none. I purchased a slightly used 2nd hand 2017 model Magnus in 7LRM while visiting their shop in WY the other year. Came with a fluted SS 22" barrel. About a year later it started throwing some shots around and I couldn't figure it out. Reached out to Aaron & Mike and they told me to send it out. Mike personally handled the case - shot the rifle to verify the problem. He tried various things and just couldn't get it right. At some point he discovered a cracked scope base, but I ended up with a new action, new 24" Proof barrel, new bases & rings, repainted stock, and he even threw in a custom hard case, calibrated the BR2 range finder, and sent 100 boxes of ammo - all at no charge. There will always be naysayers on forums like this, but I honestly got much more than I ever paid for, or for that matter, could have gotten for the same money building the gun myself. I know every case is different, but for me, to say I was impressed is an understatement. The rifle shoots extremely well. My 17 yr old daughter took a small deer last year at 830 yds with a single perfect shot through the lungs. (I wasn't there - her 15 yr old brother was spotter, dialed for her, and coached the shot) She doesn't shoot much, so this is saying more about the GW's system than about her shooting, though she obviously had to do her part.

Sorry rld346, I didn't mean to hijack your thread! Just had the urge to speak out for GW's after hearing a bit of assumptive negativity about them the last while on various forums and threads... Good luck with your rifle!

I don't see any good use for the 156 outside of target shooting. I have seen first hand where it doesn't expand in deer when impacts are beyond 600 yards at 2815 launch velocity. Haven't seen one expand yet. The 143 ELD-X is so much more friendly. I think the 147 is even better than the 156. The 2815 muzzle velocity comes with H1000. Single digits ES.(6.5 PRC)
You must not have seen Cody Adams thread on here about the 20+ animals all taken with the Berger 156.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.