New 6.5-284, keep working on load development???

Try double weighing your powder. My charge master throws +/- grains so I use my hornady scale to verify each one. Most of my loads are now under 5 fps SD.
I totally agree with you. I've double checked loads for a while now. It at least gives me peace of mind.

8D636709-145F-4087-9BA1-5A644A3C563A.jpeg
Well I don't know what these folks are thinking. I think you have a bad build and crappy loads.
You should just box that rifle up and ship it to me! LOL!
I just had to say it! Sorry....
Your gotta a great shooter there! Will be nice to see it at range.
I agree on neck tension too.

First off what chrono are you using ? If not Lab Radar or MS that may be your problem.
High ES can be from neck tension/annealing issues. What brass are you using ? How do you prep your brass ? How often do you anneal ? Have you checked runout ? Tried different primers ?
What are you using to measure powder ?
I have good loads with H1000 & Retumbo
I am using a Labradar. My ES was 75 before I switched from 200 to 250 primers and lubed the necks before loading. This got me down to 20 ES which seems pretty good, is 20 not good enough?

Hey Jeffrthehunter, with what and how do you lube your neck. I'm starting load development for my 26" 1 to 8 Encore. I'm bound and determined to make my Swift 130 grain Scirocco work until it doesn't.
I am using a small cue tip that is made for electronics and put a light coat of Redding lube on it. Not sure if that's a great idea but it seems to work.

I use a dry lube in the necks of my cases...

I too just started load development on a new barreled 6.5x284...

I have about 100 rounds down the barrel right now...I've been working with RL-26, 4831sc and H1000. Best results so far has been the RL-26

To get low ES in my 6.5x284's I keep neck tension no more then .0015".....very low seating pressure. Be sure that the seater plug properly fits the bullet. Primer choice can make a difference in ES. I work with three primers. Federal 210M, 215M, and CCI BR2's. One these usually gets my SD below 5. When switching from the LR primers the Fed 215M, the powder charge should be backed off .5-1.0 grains.

Seeking help for best LRH load for new custom 6-284, 7 twist, 32" Carbon Fiber, Blueprinted balanced and timed Rem 7 LA Action, Timney CK 1.2Lb, Carbon Fiber Stock 8lb dry, NF SHV 5-25x56, Suppressed, lapped bore. Thank you in advance for any assist or direction. Cheers Joe

upload_2019-12-31_9-58-17.jpeg

That's the plan 1 click for starters... any good load suggestions for either 115 VLDH, 110 SMK, 105 RDF, or 108 ELDM? Wanting to try R33 & R26

Seeking help for best LRH load for new custom 6-284, 7 twist, 32" Carbon Fiber, Blueprinted balanced and timed Rem 7 LA Action, Timney CK 1.2Lb, Carbon Fiber Stock 8lb dry, NF SHV 5-25x56, Suppressed, lapped bore. Thank you in advance for any assist or direction. Cheers Joe

View attachment 165795
I just got my 6 twist barrel to run the 110 grain mono Hammer Hunters and plan on trying N570 as it is close to Retumbo and H1000 but people are reporting higher velocities with VV. Prepping for a cow hunt so no time for this now.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6-284-starting-loads.3758922/page-2
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/6x284-norma-info.198558/

I know this may be out of context, but this one has me stumped:

Had a first time for me on this subject. My 6.5x284 loaded in lapua brass would not allow the bolt to close till the bullet warmed up a couple minutes. I understand metals will expand in cold weather, but it never got below 35 degrees last night and the shells were under the bolt in a case. inside my truck.
Need some coaching on this one. been reloading my ammo since 1968 and this is a first for me.
Chip

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.