new 4200 i just got.............

Savagebien

i got a new Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x50 side focus a couple days ago, mounted with burris xtreme high rings and a tps 20moa base. When i went to sight it in yesterday i ended up sighting in 1/4moa from the bottom of the elevation adjustment range putting me 1.5in high at 100y! I was pretty surprised with the results but i'm SO glad i have all of the adjustment range to use! We shot 1000y later on yesterday, i had to come up 30.5moa so i've still got about 14 more moa up from there which is pretty good! The scope is everything i hoped it would be! Simply great!

If your 100 yard zero is at the bottom of the scopes adjustment, you should have waaaay more than 45moa 'up'. The scope has a 30mm tube so it should have about 80moa+ total elevation range (40 up and 40 down from center).

I have the Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x (Bushnell Outdoor Products) This scope has a 1" tube and I have Burris Signature rings with the inserts that give it about 30moa of cant. It's 100 yard zero is about 20moa from the bottom of the adjustment range and that leaves me with about 60moa 'up' - I know this because I have tested it.

On another note, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the short eye relief of these scopes. They both have 3" eye relief where most other scopes have 3.5 to 4".

the scope only has like 45 total adj, bushnell's site claims 50moa.... um, i had the 10x40 3200 before this one... and it had about 80 which was great! but 10x is not much for shooting 1k yards.... i've still got plenty since i have to go so low in the adj range.
the relief was wierd at first... and it probably had to do with the fact that the scope is mounted SO much higher than my previous 3200 10x40, took a bit of getting used to, but now im good to go with it!

Upon closer inspection of the Bushnell site I see that they do list the 6x24 as having 50moa total adjustment. That seems odd that a scope with a 30mm tube would have less adjustment than a 1" tube. It must have something to do with the side focus that prevents the reticle from moving that much. I'll probably give Bushnell a call and ask them for an explanation.

In terms of 1k shooting, I find the 10x is fine. That's why I have the scope. I started shooting 1k with a Leupold 3x9 and found when I shot 1k with other guys' rifles that had high magnification scopes on them, I dialed them waaay down.

I tested a Bushnell 4200 6-24X50 SF Tactical Mil-Dot MAT and with a 20moa base I was not able to get out to 1k. I need a 30 to 40 moa base if I wanted to get out to 1k but I would have had a 200yd zero. For the price of the scope I liked it.

Mike @ CSGW

ya, i'd b screwed if i didnt have a 20moa base, ended up, with some convincing from a buddy to adjust it to be 1 mil high at 100y, so at 24x thats only .5mil hold under. and then knocks off the rest of your drops, im sure it will b better for hunting especially, i'm very pleased with the scope tho!

Thanks,
I thought so, but the Bushnell site doesn't actually state that it is.......unless I am looking at the wrong scope. 42-6245T is the one I was looking at; is that the right one?

Thanks,
Jim

Glad i found this post as i have the same scope but not the rings, have the extreme tactical rings #420164 high and now i know i do need the 20 moa. base

I have two of these and they are great scopes for the money. They're best suited to flat shooting cartridges and 20 MOA bases. I have them on 243win and 7wsm. I can get beyond 1K with both.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.