New 338 RUM

clamb4

New 338 RUM
It started as a new SPS Remington 700 rifle in 300 Remington Ultra Mag. Then the only things I kept were the action and bolt, everything else was replaced.
Action blueprinted
27" Pac-Nor match barrel chambered in .338 Remington Ultra Mag.
HS precision PST013 tactical stock with adjustable length of pull and adjustable cheek piece.
Wyatt"s bottom metal and detachable magazine (5 rounds).
Replaced the factory Remington trigger with an older Remington factory trigger tuned to just under three pounds crisp.
Muzzle break
Caldwell bipod 6" - 9" swivel model
Burris picatinny bases and 30mm signature zee rings with 20 MOA of offset
Clearidge Ultra XP5 scope 4.5x – 22.5x – 50mm with tactical turrets and Mil Dot reticle and side focus Parallax Adjustment.
Butler Creek pop up lens covers
Weight 14lbs

P8280028.jpg

It seems to feed alright, but it took some fitting of the mag to get it to lock in place. Wyatt's bottom metal and mag gives you more room for OAL. If you are shooting the 300g bullets it helps.

Nice rig. How does it shoot? I'm curious as to why you chose the 338RUM instead of 338edge. The edge gives you more case capacity.

I chose the 338 Rum because it has plenty of power for what I want to do. Shoot elk and deer to 1k give or take a little. I also thought it would be easier to reload. I know everyone says that resizing 300rum brass is no big deal, but its just one less thing I need to do. I will never shoot factory ammo so that's a push.
I have only shot two rounds out of the rifle so far. I miss calculated the OAL and the loads I loaded were jamed into the lands.
I started with 90g of retumbo, then 1/2g steps up to 93g, 300g SMK. But the 90g load was flatting the primers a little bit so I stopped. Both bullets were about 1/2"apart at 100 yards. Almost no recoil and it fits great. The MV was 2785 and 2812.
I have been working so much overtime at work I have not made it back to the range yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.