New 338 Rum

Sir Wendigo

Hey everyone, getting a remington 700 blueprinted and fitted with a 338 RUM barrel by Dave Carver of ITD Custom. He has informed me that it should be done soon, within 2 weeks or so. Does anyone have any advise to give me about bullet selection or powder, and reloading tips, any information you can throw in my direction I would gladly receive. I am having a hard time finding brass, in fact I bought loaded ammo from buds, and am resizing 300Rum brass to fill my needs. I bought some 7828 ssc and some 225 sst's to begin with. I plan on shooting 250 bergers when I get settled in.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey everyone, getting a remington 700 blueprinted and fitted with a 338 RUM barrel by Dave Carver of ITD Custom. He has informed me that it should be done soon, within 2 weeks or so. Does anyone have any advise to give me about bullet selection or powder, and reloading tips, any information you can throw in my direction I would gladly receive. I am having a hard time finding brass, in fact I bought loaded ammo from buds, and am resizing 300Rum brass to fill my needs. I bought some 7828 ssc and some 225 sst's to begin with. I plan on shooting 250 bergers when I get settled in.

Thanks,
Mike

Unfortunately, buying loaded ammo is about the only way to get brass right now. Be glad you have some. I've had good luck with 250 grain Accubonds and 7828ssc at Nosler's max of 87.0 grains. How are you resizing 300 RUM brass for your 338 RUM? Aside from neck diameter, the cases are significantly different.

Unfortunately, buying loaded ammo is about the only way to get brass right now. Be glad you have some. I've had good luck with 250 grain Accubonds and 7828ssc at Nosler's max of 87.0 grains. How are you resizing 300 RUM brass for your 338 RUM? Aside from neck diameter, the cases are significantly different.

Thank you for the notes. To my knowledge and after looking at the measurements of both RUMS, the only differences on the two are the neck diameter, and the big difference is the length to the shoulder, which is shorter on the 338 RUM, and is actually the reason I picked it over the 338 EDGE. But how I resize is basically lightly and I mean freaking lightly lubing the shoulder and inside of the neck of the 300 rum brass. I have a FL sizing die in 338 RUM from RCBS, nothing special. I run it through to open the neck up, and bump the shoulder back only a slight bit. Then I take the brass again and run it through to finish bumping to shoulder back to the correct length and there you have 338 Rum brass, after trimming of course. A simple two step process that will make you tear your hair out because of the wrinkles you will get around the shoulder, and when a case head rips off, you want to jump out the window. But that only happens when I get lazy with the lube, either putting to much or little on.

the shoulders are at different locations. It starts at 2.3873 on the 300 and 2.2958 on the 338.

Bullet choice depends on what your intents with it. But I would look at 250 or 300 bergers or 250 CE bullet

I just bought 200 rounds of Nosler brass, I have been in contactwith them over the past 1.5 years, they are producing this month. It is in stock if you call Nosler, it aint cheap $66.90 per 25

i just received my notice from Midway USA yesterday at 2:40PM by 5:30PM it was sold out. Keep your eyes peeled.

Hope this helps.

Good luck MWHunter

I'm in the same boat, I have been picking up bullets and powder when ever I can find them but brass has been nearly impossible to find. I received the same email from Nosler but I was to late they were sold out within a couple hours. I have been able to trade off some 300 RUM brass for 338 RUM but not enough to be comfortable. There is obviously demand for RUM brass, I don't understand why they aren't producing more.

I have seen once fired advertised at new prices but I cant justify the cost.

I received notification that they were in stock again, I ordered a few boxes and checked an hour later they were sold out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.