New 338 lapua build help

wbyfireman

Im putting together my first .338 lapua build. This will be used primarily for hunting so weight has to be at least minimized as best as possible. I have decided on the following
--Stiller TAC 338 action
--Bartlein 5R barrel 9.3" twist, Sendero contour
--Timney trigger
--McMillan A3-5 stock
--Nightforce 5.5-22X56
--20MOA base
My question is, based on the Sendero coutour what is the best Barrel length to optimize powder burn but also keep weight at a respectible place and to optimize barrel vibrations in a thinner barrel like the sendero?????

any other ideas, opinions or real world experience with this caliber would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Much

PS (300gr bergers or 285gr hornady SSt's, lapua brass, and yes i do reload) :) :)

Im putting together my first .338 lapua build. This will be used primarily for hunting so weight has to be at least minimized as best as possible. I have decided on the following
--Stiller TAC 338 action
--Bartlein 5R barrel 9.3" twist, Sendero contour
--Timney trigger
--McMillan A3-5 stock
--Nightforce 5.5-22X56
--20MOA base
My question is, based on the Sendero coutour what is the best Barrel length to optimize powder burn but also keep weight at a respectible place and to optimize barrel vibrations in a thinner barrel like the sendero?????

any other ideas, opinions or real world experience with this caliber would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Much

PS (300gr bergers or 285gr hornady SSt's, lapua brass, and yes i do reload) :) :)

FWIW I just won a leica 1600B range finder from the Arizona Deer Association!!

BOOM!! just thought i would brag a bit,, its the first time I have ever won anything!!gun)

When you get over 12lbs it doesn't really matter. If you want to go light enough to comfortably carry and still be able to stretch out your shots. I would look at the manner carbon stocks maybe a McMillan edge. An htg ot mct style. Barrel contour, I would go with a #5 or similar and a light palma 24-26 inch at the most. Ive had several different 338 in different configurations and I love the big target/sniper style rifles but when you get in the field you will be cussing it I promise. Ive done it. Even the m24 that the army uses isn't much bigger than a rem 700 police. Which isn't a bad choice. Save the extra money and burn it up in componets. I'm a fan of the 250 gr bullets but I did smack an elk last year with a 285 amax and it worked excellent

With the equipment listed above for your build, plan on a 14-15 pound rifle.

Regarding barrel length, a lot depends on how much performance you are trying to squeeze out of your rig. The 300 grain bullets don't give you much over the 250 gr. bullets in terms of ballistic flight (dial up and hold-off). To make the 300 gr. bullets really shine and reach their potential, I believe you need to shoot an improved Lapua casing using RL 33 in a 28-30 inch barrel (2900 to 2950 fps).

Last edited:
I have a 338 Lapua improved with the same action and barrel but a heavier contour in 29".
With Retumbo I'm shooting a 300 smk at 2990.
Awesome accuracy ..3 shots 1.25" at 565 yds.

thanks for the replies, there is certainly a fine line between a stable-vibration limited heavy rifle and a carry in the field hunting rifle in such a caliber!! almost makes it even more fun to build!! Any opinions on a #4 contour at 27"?? i noticed this and a fluted sendero contour is what McMillan uses for their "large caliber hunting rifles" in .338 lapua

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts