New 338 Edge

sxwatson

Remington 700 Action
30" Sendero contour Krieger barrel 1/10 twist.
Defensive Edge brake & recoil lug
HS Precision stock
Farrell 20 MOA base
Timney Trigger 2 lb pull
PTG bolt knob

Loaner scope & rings from my 6.5x284 until I can pick up something else.
(If anyone has a Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 for sale, let me know)

Gun Smith was Gary Ocock from AZ.

Stuff I did:
Made the cheek rest, did the bedding, did the texture on stock and paint and did the bolt knob.
Paint is Duracoat: Dark Earth & Coyote brown.

Picked up Redding dies from Shawn Carlock @ DE and used his 300 SMK w/ 90 gr. H1000 load.
Best group .4 MOA @ 100 yards 2812 fps.

Scott

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Last edited:
Best group .4 MOA @ 100 yards 2812 fps.

Looks like it shoots well. :) What did you use to texture the stock? Really close to what I am planning to build using a basic Sendero (older style) to begin with.

To do the texture:
1. Tape off the area you want to texture
2. Spread a fairly thin layer of epoxy evenly over the area (I used Devcon)
3. Let it setup for a little while until it starts to get tacky. I think I waited about 40 minutes or so.
4. Take a popsicle stick or something similar and bounce it off of the compound. This will pull it up where the stick hits.
5. Once you get it roughed up the way you want it remove the tape and let it finish drying.
6. Once dry file the sharp tips created with the stick

If you google stock texturing there is a how to with pictures that i followed the first time I did it.

Very nice rifle. I'm curious to see a close-up pic of your brake. I'm of the mind to build a big magnum and I would like to have the brake match the barrel diameter. It looks as though yours does.

I can post a good pic when I get home but there is a slight taper on the brake to meet the barrel contour. The DE brkake cannot be turned to a smaller diameter near the ports.

So the DE brake comes with specific instructions NOT to turn the brake diameter down any more than it already is. I assume this is because the material on top/bottom of the ports would become too thin. So a slight taper was used to meet the contour of the barrel.

IMG_0324.jpg

Two more questions....

What's the diameter at the muzzle?

What's the diameter of the brake? (it does not appear to be flat on the top or bottom)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.