new .308 Win lightweight build, now which load?

TARGETMAN

After much research and comparison of components (especially weights), I finally decided on the following for my new .308 Win build:

Hart barrel; Douglas featherweight contour at 20" finished length, 1 in 10" twist
Pierce Titanium action
Jewell Trigger
McMillan Hunter's Edge stock
blind magazine
Tally lightweight one-piece ring/base
Leupold VX III 3.5x10x40

Total weight will be just under 6.5 lbs...

Im looking for a good place to start on handloads. I prefer to load one all purpose round and use it for whitetails, muleys, and hopefully sheep. Been looking at most major brands in the 150-168 grain range. I do not have any components yet so want to narrow down my choices before I start buying.

What hunting load/bullet recommendations do you have?

Here's a load that shot one-hole groups out of my .308, which doesn't necessarily mean it will work in your gun, but it might be a good place for you to start your load development.

.308 Win
Horandy Match (must say "Hornady Match" on the headstamp, or use Lapua)
Berger 168 VLD
44.0gr of Varget
Federal 210M primer
2.200" measured base-to-ogive w/ Hornady comparator

I think the max distance on this set up would be 500 yds.

Take your pick. I'd go with the heaviest you can handle. 168 AMAX has been devastating on deer and deer size game for me to 700. At 500 yards, the windage is going to be close between any 155-168 except for maybe the 168SMK. If the new TMK reacts anything like the AMAX on game, those would be tough to beat by other 168s.

I've been shooting the new 168 gr Berger Hybrid Hunter classic. Love this bullet. I also second the 44.0 gr of Varget and 210m primers. The Amax is also another phenomenal bullet in the .308 win. 42.0 gr of imr 4064 is an accurate load in most .308's

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have been considering the 168 gr. AMAX, 168 gr. Berger Hybrid Hunter classic, and the Barnes 168 TTSX . I am leaning towards the Berger at this point, which has a slightly higher B.C.

Varget seems to be a go-to powder for the .308. Looks like I may have to experiment with Varget, IMR 4064, and H4895sc (since I already use H4895sc in my .300 WM).

Since I ponied up for the Pierce Ti action, I may take the ounces that I gained and add another inch or two to my 20" barrel plan :D

Re: new .308 Win lightweight build, now which load?PS

I built a lightweight .308 a few years back. I used an 18 in. Pac-Nor barrel. I was able to get 2500 FPS with 200 gr. bullets and 2825 with 150's. The 18 in. barrel makes it very handy and a really nice little gun to hunt with.

To date it has killed several deer and a real nice 5x6 bull elk.

150 Accubond
48 / 48.5 of 748- rem 9 1/2 primer

48 grains average 2815 fps
48.5 average 2825

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.