New 300WM -- Berger 215 vs ELD-x 212?

lhp63190

Hi,

This is my first post and I'd like to thank all of the members for the time and effort you dedicate to sharing your knowledge with less experienced shooters such as myself. I started following various posts on the 300 WM over a year ago and think I've read every one at this point. Though a lifelong rifle and archery hunter, i just started shooting long range around 2 years ago with a friends equipment.

After a lot of research, I have opted for my first custom rifle. Below are the specs. The primary purpose of this rifle is elk/mule deer hunting at ranges up to 750-800 (my comfort zone under the right conditions). The rifle will be ready for pickup this weekend.

300WM
Bartlien 3B 25.5" barrel with heavy spiral fluting, 1:10
Stiller Predator Action
McMillan Hunter Stock w/ edge technology
Wyatt's extended mag box
G7 Nightforce 5.5-22x50 Scope
G7 Rangefinder

I spent a lot of time reading Broz's posts on the 300WM/Berger 215 setups. I was ready to replicate his load development until the release of the ELD-x and more specifically the ELD-X .308 212. I have both bullets in hand as well as plenty of H1000, Hornady Brass, and F215 primers.

I plan to work up loads for both bullets to see which performs best in my gun. However, assuming both shoot great, I can't decide which I'd rather go with for my Limited Entry Elk hunt this fall. I'd welcome any thoughts, opinions, and real world knowledge comparing these specific bullets (Berger 215 vs Hornady eld-x 212).

LHP

Hi,

This is my first post and I'd like to thank all of the members for the time and effort you dedicate to sharing your knowledge with less experienced shooters such as myself. I started following various posts on the 300 WM over a year ago and think I've read every one at this point. Though a lifelong rifle and archery hunter, i just started shooting long range around 2 years ago with a friends equipment.

After a lot of research, I have opted for my first custom rifle. Below are the specs. The primary purpose of this rifle is elk/mule deer hunting at ranges up to 750-800 (my comfort zone under the right conditions). The rifle will be ready for pickup this weekend.

300WM
Bartlien 3B 25.5" barrel with heavy spiral fluting, 1:10
Stiller Predator Action
McMillan Hunter Stock w/ edge technology
Wyatt's extended mag box
G7 Nightforce 5.5-22x50 Scope
G7 Rangefinder

I spent a lot of time reading Broz's posts on the 300WM/Berger 215 setups. I was ready to replicate his load development until the release of the ELD-x and more specifically the ELD-X .308 212. I have both bullets in hand as well as plenty of H1000, Hornady Brass, and F215 primers.

I plan to work up loads for both bullets to see which performs best in my gun. However, assuming both shoot great, I can't decide which I'd rather go with for my Limited Entry Elk hunt this fall. I'd welcome any thoughts, opinions, and real world knowledge comparing these specific bullets (Berger 215 vs Hornady eld-x 212).

LHP

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I'm glad you found Jeff's (BROZ) thread on the .300 WM and 215. His impressive hands on/real world successes is hard to beat. Last year was my 1st time use of the 215 but it's with my .300 WSM and I harvested a MT muley buck at 425 yards for a DRT. In 2013, I harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with my .300 Win Mag using 190 VLD. Having said that, I'd go with Berger 215.

Good luck on your quest for your best load and of course to your upcoming hunt.

Cheers!

Ed

I have never shot the ELD-X. But the animals I have shot with 215's has been very impressive. I would go with the bullet your gun shoots the best. My 300 WM only took 14 rounds of load development; and that's because I started so low and worked up. H1000 and 215 berger is a perfect combo. My gun likes them at 30 thou off.

The 215 hybrid has proven itself over and over again.
The 212 ELD seems to work as well according to Skip and his crew over at Gunwerks. So supply would dictate my decision right now. That's how I decided on the 140 Hybrids for my new Creedmoor. There seems to be plenty Hybrids, and not so much ELDs at the moment..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.