New 300 WM —How to find “THE”bullet

Didn't think there was a better combo for the 30 cal magnums other than the 215 Hybrid and H-1000. I've personally used it in both 300 WM and 30 Nosler with outstanding results. 1 shot DRT on both a bear and a bull elk. I won't try any other combo.

All my Long Range shooting has been with a Ruger Precision 308, and it is way to heavy to take to the mountains
Just got a Browning Xbolt Long Range Max in 300 WM,26" barrel, 1:8 twist Bought for a Colorado Bull Elk hunt. Range limited by me to 800 yds
I have a decent selection of 30 cal bullets and powders for testing and I can get others.
I also have a LabRadar for the range.
What process to you use to optimize bullet selection to give you max range and max impact energy? Any help would be appreciated
165-180 grain lead points, like a Nosler partition, would be best. If you can dial that in as a hunting load then you'll be fine. Try to avoid using ballistic tip bullets or match grade, as the expansion is too rapid and will tend to tear up the meat if you accidentally hit it in the shoulder and not behind it. The accubonds will work ok as well even through they are polymer tipped they seem to expand slower. Just what I've learned from experience and growing up in northwestern Colorado aka the elk hunting capital of the world.

We used the 165 grain Nosler Partition in the old days, before all the new calibers showed up. I shot my 6x5 Bull In Washington State with it. One shot behind
the left ear.

IMG_0002.jpg

Yes it is listed as a target bullet. The 215 is great on game. Load it up with Fed GM215M and H1000 at 30-40 thou off. I'm running them right at 3000 fps out of my 300 Win Mag. Do a search on here about the 215 Berger. Lots of info in Broz thread with good details and pictures.
I shoot a 300wby mag and had post about what twist to get when buying a new barrel. Had a ton of replies from the friendly and experienced people of this website and they came to the same conclusion. Heavier bullets would be best for an 8twist. Not much help on selection I know. But I thought I'd share what others on here had passed on to me. Good luck on your journey to the perfect bullet!

When I got a new 300 win mag last year I bought 10 different boxes of factory ammo.(I'm fairly new to reloading and at the time didn't have a bunch of 30 caliber bullets laying around) went out and shot groups for days out of the new Christensen ridgeline in 300 win mag. The rifle with a 1-10 twist shot the 200 grain eld-x and the 190 grain accubond LR extremely well. Then I started to pick up reloading components for what I knew my rifle shot well

I actually just tried the Nosler 210gr ABLR recently in my 300wm and they performed fantastic out to 850. ran out of range. H1000 or RL22 will work great. I also had great results with berger match target bullets for steel long range.

There are a lot of good bullets on the market, but if you want a great bullet shoot the Berger tipped triple shock. To take on bigger game, the manufacturers generally make heir bullets harder as the for caliber weight increases. If you don't hit bone, I have seen bonded bullets go through elk like a laser.
My sun shot a whitetail buck with a Nosler bonded .243 when he was 11 years old. He made a bad shot right behind the rib cage and did no hit bone or organs. The buck jumped and then continued grazing. He shot it again and broke it's neck. When we hog dressed it, we were shocked to find a roughly .243 sized entry and exit holes in the middle of the body...he hit it with the first shot.
The great thing about Barnes is that they will expand on whatever they hit. I have killed a dozen large bull elk with 130 grain in 300 WSM. This combo goes 3,500 fps. I do not shoot past 450 yards, but three of the elk were at that range. You get 50 cent sized entry and exit holes. I can usually see where the bullet hits!!! On two heart shots blood instantly spewed 30' from the entry side. I have never recovered a bullet as the always exit...even on quartering shots. None of the elk ran more than 40 yards before collapsing and most died within 10'.
Do yourself a favor and shoot Barns.

Try Barnes 200 LRX. I use RE26. RE23, H1000 or MRP would also be reasonable choices. RE26 will likely give you the most velocity before pressure limit is reached.

215's in my RUM is about as close to a lightning bolt hitting a deer as I've seen. Never shot anything larger than Missouri whitetail with it but every one was DRT with a 1-2" exit. Even as close as 40 yards through both shoulders, the bullet still exits. Should be money out of a win mag for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts