new .300 win mag

newbiggame27

Hello all,
I'm looking at buying a new. 300 win mag in a browning x-bolt medallion maple. Has anyone had experience with one of these and is there anything I need to know beforehand? Is the rifle too light for the caliber. What type of scope, mounts, and rings would be adequate and which would be best, etc.

Last edited:
300 win mag is a great cartridge. i believe the deer on the cover of Muley crazy 300" plus was taken with a browning maple 300 wm.

This is the rifle for any wondering.

Attachments

• Browning-X-Bolt-Medallion-Maple-035330-1681l.jpg
    Browning-X-Bolt-Medallion-Maple-035330-1681l.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 48
In my mind, 'too light' only becomes a consideration if you are recoil sensitive or for shooting long range - i.e. it is individual preference. See a weight thread from the past few days here.

I really like Brownings...never shot a x-bolt but have 3 shotguns and an a-bolt. The a-bolt delivers for a stock rifle with hand loads, and I really like two things about Browning bolt actions - the 60 degree throw and the internal mag.

So to me it comes down to your preference - others can share their preference on weight vs recoil vs accuracy, but don't forget about hauling it around either. But at the end of the day it comes down to what works for you and the intended use.

I understand that the lighter I get the harder it'll kick. But that's not my concern. I was wondering if that would affect accuracy or repeatability. Thanks for your post!

while weight helps for long range precision. elk and moose are big targets. my 300 wm sendero has a brake, my model 70 300wm super grade has a brake, and my rem 700 ti 300 rsaum has a brake.

I can't speak for the xbolt but I have Abolt2 stainless/stalker with boss in 300wm that I am extremely happy with. Ifyour wonder if recoil will be to much that will pry depend on you more than anything mine is not to bad but the boss pry helps some. I just bought vortex viper for it.as far as rings and base I just bought what local place had so I'll let others here with more knowledge on such things speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.