New 300 RUM for the Bulls

My best accuracy with the 245 in my RUM was at 3.745" to fit an AICS mag. I have the 3.85" Wyatts as well, but seating test wasn't significant to run them single feed.

181gr Hammers at 3420 with N570.

My best accuracy with the 245 in my RUM was at 3.745" to fit an AICS mag. I have the 3.85" Wyatts as well, but seating test wasn't significant to run them single feed.

181gr Hammers at 3420 with N570.
How many grains N570 are you using ? I use 92.0 grs with 215 Berger at 3200 . 94.0 H1000 3400 plus with 180/181 Hammer. Was thinking N570 slow for Hammer. I'm going to try it. Thanks !

Last edited:
N570
91gr 215 Berger 3062 fps

87gr 245 Berger 2845 fps

95gr 181 HH 3420 fps (shots well but still not satisfied, ran out of pills)

97gr 178 AH 3347 fps (very accurate, but needs a much faster burning powder)

This barrel is SLOOOOWWWWW

N570
91gr 215 Berger 3062 fps

87gr 245 Berger 2845 fps

95gr 181 HH 3420 fps (shots well but still not satisfied, ran out of pills)

97gr 178 AH 3347 fps (very accurate, but needs a much faster burning powder)

This barrel is SLOOOOWWWWW
Thank you !
I was running 92.5 grs. N570 with 215 Berger for couple years. Was 3191 ave. fps..
SD 5 ES 11 . Fed215M. ADG/Gunwerks. Last 2 times this month I shot it I got slight ejector swipes and cratered firing pin dent. Primer not flattened butStickey bolt lift. Cases were trimmed. Shoulder bumped and only have loaded cases 3 and 4 times. I know powder isn't temp sensitive. Maybe case necks thick ? I don't know. I'm 0.40 off lands. I single load. 3.80 OAL. I've had 3 cases split a little ways above rim. Above the sizing marks. I looked with magnifying glass and found about 10 other cases with rings in same place as separation . I can't feel separation with piece of wire inside but the rings are exactly same spot as the 3 that did separate. I neck sized first time. After that barely bumped shoulder. I don't get it. I lowered charge down to 92.0 grs. N570. Will try this week.
I bet H1000 would work well with 178 AH. Maybe N560 or N565 ? I looked at notes. 181/180 Hammer with 94.0 grs. H1000 Ave. 3432 fps. SD 2 ES 4 ! 28 in. 5R Bartlien barrel.
300 win. mag 180 Hammer with 80.0 grs. RL26 3303 Ave. fps . My barrel has sped up about 80 fps in about 160 rds.

Thank you !
I was running 92.5 grs. N570 with 215 Berger for couple years. Was 3191 ave. fps..
SD 5 ES 11 . Fed215M. ADG/Gunwerks. Last 2 times this month I shot it I got slight ejector swipes and cratered firing pin dent. Primer not flattened butStickey bolt lift. Cases were trimmed. Shoulder bumped and only have loaded cases 3 and 4 times. I know powder isn't temp sensitive. Maybe case necks thick ? I don't know. I'm 0.40 off lands. I single load. 3.80 OAL. I've had 3 cases split a little ways above rim. Above the sizing marks. I looked with magnifying glass and found about 10 other cases with rings in same place as separation . I can't feel separation with piece of wire inside but the rings are exactly same spot as the 3 that did separate. I neck sized first time. After that barely bumped shoulder. I don't get it. I lowered charge down to 92.0 grs. N570. Will try this week.
I bet H1000 would work well with 178 AH. Maybe N560 or N565 ? I looked at notes. 181/180 Hammer with 94.0 grs. H1000 Ave. 3432 fps. SD 2 ES 4 ! 28 in. 5R Bartlien barrel.
300 win. mag 180 Hammer with 80.0 grs. RL26 3303 Ave. fps . My barrel has sped up about 80 fps in about 160 rds.
the rl33 guys have been seeing the same thing with heavies... they were getting 3100-3200 fps to start with, then it fell apart and they were getting issues.
They were running over pressure the whole time... the higher spring-back of the new brass and slick new barrels without any frosting in the throat helped but the loads were still way heavy. I was running 95 gr rl33 with a 225 when many guys were running 100-102 gr on a 225-230. I was at 3,000 fps and they were close to 3200 fps. The biggest difference is I ran my load up in crap brass that was ready for the trash in a seasoned rifle and they were using new brass in new guns.

the rl33 guys have been seeing the same thing with heavies... they were getting 3100-3200 fps to start with, then it fell apart and they were getting issues.
They were running over pressure the whole time... the higher spring-back of the new brass and slick new barrels without any frosting in the throat helped but the loads were still way heavy. I was running 95 gr rl33 with a 225 when many guys were running 100-102 gr on a 225-230. I was at 3,000 fps and they were close to 3200 fps. The biggest difference is I ran my load up in crap brass that was ready for the trash in a seasoned rifle and they were using new brass in new guns.
I never had this problem with Rem brass years ago with factory barrel . Running up to 100.0 grs. Retumbo with 180's. No problem. Years later dropped to 99.0 grs. ADG thicker. More pressure. Had to get it through my head. What you say makes sense. I've tried RL33 and H869. Was ok but not the accuracy. I'm happy with N570 but with new barrel I haven't worked with Retumbo with Bergers, etc. like I did. I had a load of 98.0 grs. Retumbo with 180 TTSX , REM brass and Fed 215m that was lights out on elk . I'd shoot in shoulder and they'd never take a step. Then I got into heavier bullets...

I run the same charges with Rem and ADG cases. I do however get clickers with virgin/unfired ADG cases. Like I chamber a virgin empty case to check for swipe (which I get) then unload and the top of the lift is a click. Not with the Rem cases. Also stopped using the ADG with the 245. These are top in my rifle, but I feel like they are safe.

I also noticed that different lots of N570 are a bit different. Did you change lots on the oldder heavier charges to the newer ones?
Have also heard that as the bottle remains open it degrades over time.

I have noticed a significantly slower velocities over two cartridges. 7mag and the RUM. Both loaded with different lots than when I started out. About 40 FPS drop with same charge on the 7 mag and with the RUM, the velocities did not increase the same as they did initially when testing with the first batch.

85gr was 2832 fps. 87gr is at 2845 fps.

FWIW

I run the same charges with Rem and ADG cases. I do however get clickers with virgin/unfired ADG cases. Like I chamber a virgin empty case to check for swipe (which I get) then unload and the top of the lift is a click. Not with the Rem cases. Also stopped using the ADG with the 245. These are top in my rifle, but I feel like they are safe.

I also noticed that different lots of N570 are a bit different. Did you change lots on the oldder heavier charges to the newer ones?
Have also heard that as the bottle remains open it degrades over time.

I have noticed a significantly slower velocities over two cartridges. 7mag and the RUM. Both loaded with different lots than when I started out. About 40 FPS drop with same charge on the 7 mag and with the RUM, the velocities did not increase the same as they did initially when testing with the first batch.

85gr was 2832 fps. 87gr is at 2845 fps.

FWIW
I haven't tried chambering new brass in it yet. I'm interested in seeing if I get ejector swipe and or bolt click. I just yesterday opened new pound of N570. It is same lot as one before. I haven't experienced slower velocities. Just increase. Figured barrel getting broke in but I've heard Bartlien laps their barrels .
Thanks !

Stickey bolt lift. Cases were trimmed. Shoulder bumped and only have loaded cases 3 and 4 times. I
I never had this problem with Rem brass years ago with factory barrel

This is sort of a know issue with RUMs. The SAAMI spec on the chamber is tight and brass that is thick at the web can start sticking in the chamber after 3 or 4 sizings.
I see this with my RUM too. I get more fireings with Remington brass cause it has a smaller diameter at the web.
There were a couple places making small base die for the RUM for a while.

This is sort of a know issue with RUMs. The SAAMI spec on the chamber is tight and brass that is thick at the web can start sticking in the chamber after 3 or 4 sizings.
I see this with my RUM too. I get more fireings with Remington brass cause it has a smaller diameter at the web.
There were a couple places making small base die for the RUM for a while.
I've never heard of it since 2004. I didn't have the problem with factory barrel and Rem brass at all. Good to know. I'm checking all fired cases now and found ten with separation rings on them with 3 loadings. Why pay more for ADG ? I Might go back to Remington brass. I have 100 new Norma. A 100 onced fired Gunwerks/ADG and 50 new ADG. A ton of Rem brass.
Thanks ! 👍🏼

There were a couple places making small base die for the RUM for a while
I've never heard of this and I've ran them since they were introduced ..