New 300 RUM build

brentc

Here is the newest member of the LR family. This one has been in the works for a while and I finally got the pieces together to finish it up. I had the guys down at Northwest Action Works do all the assembly once I had the parts in hand.

Build specs:
300 RUM
28" Krieger 5R
Manners EH1
Stiller Predator action
Jewell trigger
Nathan Wright (IdahoCTD) brake
Vortex Razor 5-20 EBR2B

I've had the time to work a load for it and in less than 50 rounds trying three different powder combinations with the 230 Hybrid target I got something I can live with. It absolutely loves 85.2 grains of H1000 in Norma brass with a Fed 215M. Here is the picture of the rifle and a target I shot at 575 yards with a slight left to right breeze to finalize seating depth. I worked a little with Retumbo and RL33 to see what I could come up with, but nothing jumped out at me.

I always find it interesting how much .005 difference in seating depth can make. The first series I shot was the top left at 3.075" Base to ogive. The next series was the top right at 3.070" with a dramatic reduction in group size. The others were varying depths that tested well at 150 yards that I wanted to verify at longer range. The 3.065" group displays the least amount of vertical with a group that measures right at 2.5".

A couple of you guys asked about what happened with RL33 in this rifle and think I found an RL33 combo that I can work with in this rifle. I tried it in Norma brass instead of the R-P brass I was originally using with RL33. I had better velocity with the R-P I just couldn't get the groups to tighten up. So I dropped a couple grains from my R-P max of 97.5 and loaded up a series starting at 94.5 in Norma brass. I seated them to .005 off the lands at an OAL of around 2.905". The sweet spot was 94.5 grains producing 3040 fps and single digit ES for the three shots I fired. Here's the group fired at 150 yards. Next week, I'll take her out to 575 and see what it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.