New 28 nosler.

Mt.Boy

E4D61714-F9F4-44C2-99BD-2D192EEE0B83.jpeg
My new 28 nosler was delivered yesterday. Very happy with it . Work that was done on it looks great.Totaly recommend Vestals Custom Rifles in Bristol Va. Gonna start load work this week with 180 berger hybrid and suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

That's a very likable setup! H1000, Retumbo, N570 RL 33. CCI 250s, fed 215s. ADG brass is probably a better place to start than nosler, but I run nosler right now. Tons of info right front and center on LRH at the moment.

Nice looking rifle there! I load for a couple 28 Noslers. One for my dad and one for my brother. Both have really liked the 180 Hybrid on top of Retumbo. I use Fed 215M primers in both. I started around 78 grains of Retumbo in both and worked up from there. Seems to be a great pairing for the 28.

Nice looking rifle there! I load for a couple 28 Noslers. One for my dad and one for my brother. Both have really liked the 180 Hybrid on top of Retumbo. I use Fed 215M primers in both. I started around 78 grains of Retumbo in both and worked up from there. Seems to be a great pairing for the 28.

Where are you finding the 180s like to be seated? I'm getting ready to help a friend load for his new 28.

Where are you finding the 180s like to be seated? I'm getting ready to help a friend load for his new 28.

It all depends on the rifle of course. But I start @ .010" jump and have found that the majority of the rifles I have worked with prefer the Hybrid somewhere between .010" and .040" jump. I work in .010" increments. You wont want to try too many tests on a 28 or you'll wear out the barrel. My brothers liked .010". My dad's ended up at .040".

Last edited:
It all depends on the rifle of course. But I start @ .010" jump and have found that the majority of the rifles I have worked with prefer the Hybrid somewhere between .010" and .040" jump. I work in .010" increments. You wont want to try too many tests on a 28 or you'll wear out the barrel. I started both of the my brothers @.010" and it liked that. My dad's ended up at .040" where it shot the best.

Thanks for the info. I will start there.

Had a few nosler 175 lrab that I loaded up with a mid range load from nosler book this morning to brake barrel in and sight in. Not sure how much I was jumping the bullet. I just loaded them at oal 3.60 and it shot pretty good. This was shots 7,8,9 10 out of the barrel.
4C163244-D9E9-4EE1-9584-452CA4064817.jpeg

Very nice group esp in the first 10 rounds.
If throated long enough try Berger 195 EOL, it really make the most of the 28.

Have two of them. 195s in one and 168s in the other. Suggest you do your load development at 300 or further if you plan on hunting beyond that. These are not as bad as the 26 but still overbore and not kind to barrel throats.

You are likely to have a difficult time finding new ADG brass unless you get lucky and can track it down at a retailer. ADG web site allows you to sign up on a wait list, which is useful as they send notice when they are getting a new batch. The problem is that it is first come, first serve when it does appear.
Precision Reloading will allow you to put in a backorder and are an ADG retailer which will guarantee you some new brass when it does come. This is how I recently got 6.5 SAUM ADG brass which can also be difficult to come by at times. I think I actually save a few dollars as well but that wasn't the reason I went with Precision Reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.