New 260 Remington build..

My distance to lands is 2.260. That load is 123 amax, 38 grains of Varget, CCI 200 primers, Lapua 260 Remington brass. OAL 2.237. Average velocty is 2720 deviation of 8 I believe.

Well I have some Danny issues going on. The last thing I did to my gun prior to groups going South was added the cheek rest. I am getting lots of horizontal strings. If the stars line up it should be a good group. The one high shot was a fouling shot on a cold clean bore. I am going to the sporting goods store and buy a nice rest and bags for rear. I removed the cheek rest. I pulled the scope off. The base is rock solid. Rings and base are tight. It's good. So either my scope is acting up or it's me. I am putting the blame on me. If it's the scope it's a Vortex. They will take care of me.

I'm not going to write off your suggestion. You may be very accurate in your observation. I think that works out to be about 3/4 inch. I picked up some Sweet 7.62 or whatever it's called. Thinking maybe the Butch isn't cutting it. I'm cleaning it this evening. I am going to start with 38gr of Varget and 2.24" and go up and down .003" until I hit a sweet spot. 38 isn't pushing it super fast but I will take accuracy over speed.

I picked up a box of Sierra 140 Spitzer Boat Tails and may try those out. I have about 115 down the tube now and I'm getting nervous that I'm struggling. I never had cheek weld issues before but anything is possible.

I'm not going to write off your suggestion. You may be very accurate in your observation. I think that works out to be about 3/4 inch. I picked up some Sweet 7.62 or whatever it's called. Thinking maybe the Butch isn't cutting it. I'm cleaning it this evening. I am going to start with 38gr of Varget and 2.24" and go up and down .003" until I hit a sweet spot. 38 isn't pushing it super fast but I will take accuracy over speed.

I picked up a box of Sierra 140 Spitzer Boat Tails and may try those out. I have about 115 down the tube now and I'm getting nervous that I'm struggling. I never had cheek weld issues before but anything is possible.
For myself I've found that when I'm inconsistently off like you were there it's usually me. You have two in one hole in the center, one left, one right about equidistant. That for me almost always is the result of an error from behind the gun rather than with the gun.

If your reticle were loose then it should be bounding around all over the place.

I had two vortex vipers that produced generally circular patterns for that reason. Inconsistent changes from dialing told me where the problem was. Sometimes 3 clicks was .9 MOA and sometimes it would be 2-3 MOA.

Yes they fixed them and turn around time was minimal but that's why I quit buying them. since 3 of the four I'd bought all had such problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.