New 25-06

Trapper65

I am new to the forum and would like to know a good load to shoot coyotes with. I live in TN so most shooting on my farm is under 400 yards with a few shots reaching out to 600. I just bought a Remington 700 long range 25-06. It has a 26" varmint barrel with a 10" twist. I have a Vortex PST 6x24 scope and a Jewell trigger on it. The gun will be used for groundhogs, coyotes, and whitetail. Any tips, suggestions, or good loads for this gun?

I use the published max load of h4831 with a 115 Berger. It shoots well enough with
that that i havent bothered looking for something better. Id feel comfortable shooting
at things to 600 yds with it.

HW, +1 for yobuck's load. Tried H1000 and H4350, but my son's 26" heavy barrel shoots 1/3 MOA with the H4831SC and the 115 gr Berger VLD. This load will do for all your needs. Once we found the best powder charge we tweaked the seating depth for best MOA. Welcome and good luck

Thanks! I read on here where some people were using 75gn Sierra HP with IMR4064 and were getting excellent accuracy. I will get some 115 VLD and try them out for sure though.

I shoot 117 gr hornady sst's in mine with rl 22. shoots great in all the 25.06's ive shoot that combo in. I would stay away from light bullets.

For light bullets I use the Sierra 75 HP with H414.
Heavy bullet is the Sierra 100 MK with IMR 4831.
Both are excellent fur loads as well. Good luck,
Kirk

I use 85 gr. Nosler B.T. For Varmints and for Deer I use 115 gr Nosler B.T. The powder I use is H4831SC. My 25/06 likes this powder and bullets. 75 gr V Max and 100 gr Sierra GK also shot very good. The 85 gr is very explosive on coyotes and groundhogs. Crows are a red mist. Hogwrangler, Where in Middle TN are you located?

Will look it up tomorrow, that would put you around Cookville wouldn't it? I am on the Mountain above Dunlap. Will let you know tomorrow on the powder charge.

I shoot the 85gr Nosler B.T. with 59.0 gr of RL19. Check that, I think it is a bit over max. A good load if your not interested in saving pelts unless you are a decent seamstress. 115 B.T's for deer with 50.0 gr of RL19. Again, these loads work great in my rifle but may not in your's. Good Luck.

JJ

Sent you a pm on the loads. Let me know if you received them. 85 gr. Very Explosive, tears up a lot of stuff. 115 gr great for long range and knocks deer on their butts.

I use 85 gr nozler bt for deer & the one cyote I shot pelt damage was one small hole in and nothing out 50 yds head on I use h-414 touch over max

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.