New 25-06 Barrel, Twist & Length

I prefer a 26" barrel. It balances and carries well. I have been shooting 25-06s for deer for around 20 years. I mainly shoot 117 Sierra Pro Hunters and limit my shooting to inside 600 yards. I feel that beyond 600 yards energy has dropped off too much for my liking. I like the Shilen #6 style barrel. It is a bit lighter than the standard varmint but just as accurate and handles the heat just as well. You will love the 25-06 on deer size game. It is a stone killer.

Thanks RT2506: I've been researching for awhile, and a lot this evening.
As stated in another post the Bull Barrel will be my choice to go with, Now just learning what one can get out of different barrel Lengths.

As I said, I'm not worried about the weight. I want the best chance for knock down power and accuracy.

Thanks for your points of observation much needed and taken respectfully.

Savage 25-06 gun)

My 25-06 Ackley has a 26" Krieger Sendero contour. Shoots the 115 Berger really good with H1000. I wouldn't go with that heavy of a barrel myself. Depends on how you will be using the gun I guess. Either way the 25-06 is a fun caliber to shoot. If you are doing a rebarrel I would AI it. I think it is worth it in the end. I get very close to; if not matched performance of a 257 Weatherby.

Hi BEEMAN and thanks for your knowledge on this, I'am rethinking my Bull barrel thoughts, and may go with a heavy Varmit. I know everyone talks about weight, and I know where their coming from having backpacked for years, most of my hunting will be done from some type of rest/brace. I see the SHILEN makes a 1-9 twist for shooting anything over 100 gr., which I think I'll mainly do without much thought of anything lower.

What are you referring to when you say AI it.
What I'm doing so you know; is having a new barrel made, 1. length distance and gaining a bit on the punch, Accuracy being the biggest of everything.

Savage 25-06 gun)

My 25-06 Ackley has a 26" Krieger Sendero contour. Shoots the 115 Berger really good with H1000. I wouldn't go with that heavy of a barrel myself. Depends on how you will be using the gun I guess. Either way the 25-06 is a fun caliber to shoot. If you are doing a rebarrel I would AI it. I think it is worth it in the end. I get very close to; if not matched performance of a 257 Weatherby.

I DO get matching performance out of my .25-06 AI and my .257 Wby.....With about 10-15 grains less powder.

Which is why I am thinking hard about selling my Accumark .257 Wby to fund a couple other builds.

Hi BEEMAN and thanks for your knowledge on this, I'am rethinking my Bull barrel thoughts, and may go with a heavy Varmit. I know everyone talks about weight, and I know where their coming from having backpacked for years, most of my hunting will be done from some type of rest/brace. I see the SHILEN makes a 1-9 twist for shooting anything over 100 gr., which I think I'll mainly do without much thought of anything lower.

What are you referring to when you say AI it.
What I'm doing so you know; is having a new barrel made, 1. length distance and gaining a bit on the punch, Accuracy being the biggest of everything.

Savage 25-06 gun)
He is referring to the .25-06 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder. You gain a significant amount of case capacity and velocity. Plus it just looks cooler. :D

I prefer AI calibers, because I like the 40* shoulder on them, and the extra capacity. I currently have 3 different ones. .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, and a rare caliber called the .300 Ackley Improved Magnum, which is an improved .300 Weatherby Mag case with a squared-off 40* shoulder, instead of the rounded Venturi shoulder, indicative to all Weatherby calibers.

Thanks MUDRUNNER; Nothing for me to worry my head about then?, lol.
Savage 25-06 gun)
You'll gain velocity going with an AI, but there's a few drawbacks if you're on a tight budget....For example, a good set of Redding AI dies will run you around $110-120, and you have to fire-form the brass to the AI chamber.

There's a bunch of other stuff too, but it's best you know what you're getting into (wildcats) beforehand, that way you're not in shock once you get the idea in your head, and decide to jump in head-first without knowing all the variables, and how much it's really going to cost. Not to mention wildcatting is rediculously addictive... :D

Mudrunner is right. It is addictive. My next wildcat is being built as we speak. Went with a 6.5 Sherman this time. I can't wait for it to be done. I think you would like the 25-06 AI but as mudrunner said; be sure you understand the variables that come with wildcats before you proceed.

I'm after gain, and if I can do this once, is my choice,lol. I'll have to check my new Die set, But please let me know what to research and or look at with this AI.

Savage 25-06 gun)

OK guys, let me know a bit more about the AI.
Let me know what you guy's think.

Heres what I just wrote Hart Barrel Co.:

Hello, I've been looking researching talking etc... for sometime to figure out what I want.
Well here is what I have: A Savage Axis left hand Bolt Action.

Heres what I want to do: have a 28" 1-9 twist barrel replace the factory 22"
I'm using this as my main hunting rifle, Deer Hunting, and long distance Coyotes.

My research leads me to believe the 1-9 twist is best for what I want to shot from this barrel, being between 115 gr-120 gr.Bullets with H4831 Powder, the longer barrel giving this round combination more time to burn the slower burning power, also giving me more velocity and gaining a bit more fps.

As for the Barrel I think your 1.250 blank to be what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure what your asking for as far as a sketch of contour, I hope this helps. My wish is a Bull Barrel, or a Heavy Varmit type/style Barrel, I'm not into fancy design but accuracy.

I see that your also a full line Gunsmith operation, So by ordering this barrel, what else would i need to have done to place it in my new Stock I'm building?.

I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely

Savage 25-06 gun)

I just rebarreled my savage 110fp in 25-06. I got a 26" bull from Mcgowen outlet. I am just about done breaking it in and so far it shoots great with the Berger vld's. I need to do some more load development to get it shooting perfect but it shot all around the target at 1760yards just messing around. I started at 200yds and stepped it out. Even though I didn't hit the 18" target I was very impressed that the round would even get out there. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.