New .223 & Flattened primers

Varmint Hunter

Recently had my custom .221 FB rebarreled with a 23.5" Broughton 5c in 223 Rem w/12" twist.

Started working up loads with Hodgdon Benchmark. I tried using a moderate load of 25.5gr under 52gr Bergers & 52gr A-Max bullets with a Federal 205M primer in Lapua cases.

Extraction was normal but primers were flat. Loads were used from .006" - .030" off the rifling with the same results. Velocity was around 3,215 ft/sec according to my Oehler 35P. Accuracy hovered around 2" @ 200yds; pretty disappointing.

I'm wondering if I actually have high pressure or are the primers just soft. Seems like the charge weight and velocity would not indicate high pressure but I'd rather not have flat primers.

What do you think?

What is the internal case capacity of your Lapua brass? ...have another brand you can compare to?

Your load looks fine, in terms of amount of powder.

Did you work up to this load? If not, run a ladder test and check accordingly.

I am using almost the same load in my savage. Its 25.5g varget , 52g SMK, lapua match brass and cci 400 primers. No signs of pressure and very accurate. 1/2" average with .204" was the best so far. Very happy with this load I spent about a year off and on developing this load. Tried many different things and this is the best I came up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.