New 22, what ammo to try?

Grab 100 rounds of each brand you are willing to buy and shoot (price is a key factor to most of us). Take your rifle or pistol to the range, set up a target with small bullseyes at 50 yards, and a second burn up target as close as you can to it. Shoot 50 rounds of one brand at the burn up target, then shoot 5 groups of 5 shots each at the small bullseye match targets, repeat for each brand. Clean the rifle thoroughly, rinse and repeat. I did it with my Anschutz, and discovered it really liked match Norma match 22 subsonic.... I am going to repeat the test shortly. Not a 5 minute answer or results.... sorry

If you are target shooting competitively the real high end ammo is required, but then you wouldn't be using a CZ 457. I would not spend $20 per 50 for Tennex to shoot it out of a CZ. I suggest you find lower cost ammo that shoots well for target practice, Standard vel solid points usually work best, then find a good HV hollow point for shooting gophers and the like because the extra smack factor isfar more valuable than a little better accuracy. For high volume shooting I have always like Winchester Xpert HV Hollow Point ammo. Shoots very well in a large number of guns.
Here is an ammo test target shot at 50 yards with a CZ 452,

usgP7KEl.jpg

If you are target shooting competitively the real high end ammo is required,

I respectfully disagree. I tried SK match, tennex, eley match and I had much better groups with eley subsonic hollow points, next best was actually cci standard v. I shot both out to 450 on steel.

I respectfully disagree. I tried SK match, tennex, eley match and I had much better groups with eley subsonic hollow points, next best was actually cci standard v. I shot both out to 450 on steel.
Steel at 450 yards is not what I call normal competitive RF shooting. I have never tried to hit steel at 450 yards with a 22 so I have no advice as to what the best ammo for that would be. Almost all rimfire bench and group games are 25 to 100 yards and the difference in winning versus loosing is tiny. If you can't shoot 50X at 50 yards you aren't going to be in the running.

m5o3hf0.jpg

Last edited:
Steel at 450 yards is not what I call normal competitive RF shooting.
That is fair, the only 22 competition that comes to my area is a PRS style match 50-300m targets. I don't have my note pad in front of me but iirc with tennex and match I had like 0.7" group at 50 yards vs 0.3"

I still have a box of lapua center x to try but I'm not going to hold my breath to beat what I already have

nt7332
I think that you need to box up that .22 rifle withthe scope and send it to my FFL store up the road from my house. I know that it will be a hardship for me to take on another rifle that someone doesn't want anymore or when the firearm is giving the owner a hard time. I am a Certified Adoption Center for wayward firearms trying to shoot tight groups. I'll take good care of this cz457 22lr 16.5" barrel running a vx6hd 3-18 and send you some pictures of her, and progress, as she starts shooting 1/4" MOA. After I get her to shoot 1/8" MOA groups I'll ask you if you want her back along with payment for the time I had her (rent). Please PM me for the address to send her.
Thanks
Len

My 457 will do a little over a minute @200yds with SK Long Range Match. the groups are pretty round at that distance. Working on the gun to get a little more out of it. Also try Polar Biathalon.

I've got a custom RimX and boy is it finicky. It has no problems with Lapua and SK (basically the same). I find Lapua CenterX is very good for long distances like 300+ yards. The SK does pretty well too, but a bigger spread as you get down range.

I've tried Eley Club and Match and the rimX does not like it. It is good though if your rifle can "eat" it. So those are typically what I use.