new 22 cal build

80.5's are stone cold killers. They come unwound very well in soft tissue. I run them in both a 7twist 223ai and an 8tw 22cm. Both have been absolutely deadly on game. With the 22cm we usually run H4350 on 80.5's (42.2gns) and Varget for the 69TMK (39.0gns).

Last edited:
absolutly would love to hear how it goes..the reason im wanting to stay around 55gr is when we go out to shoot rockchucks we take two guns,,One has to be a 22 cal and the second can be what ever. my second gun right now is a 6.5 creedmoor with 100 gr bullets

Personally being as you already have a 22/250 and brass around I'd just make it easy and do a 40* 22/250 AI.

Pretty much takes care of trimming cases...:)

One of the area's I've been spring bear hunting has a ton load of chucks running amuck just begging for a lesson in respect:). Maybe after spring bear is over I'll take my grandson up there and turn him loose with the old '250. He'll love it, not so much the chucks....

I guess I'll throw out my 2 cents worth, not against the AI cartridges at all. Just aren't my cup of tea whether fireforming is done before loading or used as a hunting round. My two choices for an upgrade in powder capacity and velocity would be the 6mm rem or 243 necked to 22. My own choice would be the Middlestead (22-243) due to brass availability and my shooting buddy has a reamer :) If a complete top of the heap is your desire, a 22-284 or 22-308 would fill the bill. Barrel life shortens (400-600 rnds) but they are overbore beasts :)

Retiredcpo, read 357mag post again. He knows a thing or two about what you want! If getting dies for aint a problem, I would second the nomination for the 22/35. P.O. Ackley was the smartest man ever when it came to cartridges. You should have, or get, his two volume set, "handbook for shooters and reloaders". Wealth of intel in those! Mr. Ackley's design, called the Ackley improved, or A.I., was simply done by simple straightening the case walls and putting a 30' shoulder on it. He knew that would add vel. and reduce bolt thrust and extend case life. Hornady, to their credit, is the first cartridge maker to make factory ammo like Mr. Ackley did. Just look at the success of the 6.5CM and 6 CM and now the 6 ARC. They are just that; straight walls and 30' shoulders. Oh, and accuracy is better,too.
Again, look very hard at the 22/35. I believe it will do everything you want. Humm, wonder why Hornady doesn't jump on that round? Maybe down the road....But just maybe it's too close to the 22 CM? Also, barrel twist is a significant part of the equation for the round, so don't over look that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.