new 17wsm,,,anyone seen 1 yet?

I haven't seen any either.

The down side is the length. It will require a hornet length action (The HMR uses a 22 rim fire Mag
action length).

And if you have a hornet length action you might as well go with the Hornet or the K Hornet.

The K hornet will push a 40 grain Bullet (Twice as much weight and a .200 bc) 3050 ft/sec+
and has less wind deflection and drop.

I love the 17 HMR and wonder why if they were going to 1 up the HMR they did not keep the COAL
the same, and just fatten the case for more case capacity to acheave the faster velocity.

I can push the 30 grain bullet 3346 ft/sec in my K hornet and get 2600 ft/sec from my custom 17
HMR.

The 17 Hornet can push a 20 grain .177 cal bullet 3650 ft/sec and can be reloaded. this cartrige
will smoke the 17 WSM and the 17 K hornet can exceed 3800 ft/sec with the same bullet.

So I see no real advantage for the shooter and you have to buy all of the 17 WSM ammo. (Good
for the ammo maker ).

This is just my opinion as to the advantage/disadvantage of the cartrige.

J E CUSTOM

I haven't seen any either.

The down side is the length. It will require a hornet length action (The HMR uses a 22 rim fire Mag
action length).

And if you have a hornet length action you might as well go with the Hornet or the K Hornet.

The K hornet will push a 40 grain Bullet (Twice as much weight and a .200 bc) 3050 ft/sec+
and has less wind deflection and drop.

I love the 17 HMR and wonder why if they were going to 1 up the HMR they did not keep the COAL
the same, and just fatten the case for more case capacity to acheave the faster velocity.

I can push the 30 grain bullet 3346 ft/sec in my K hornet and get 2600 ft/sec from my custom 17
HMR.

The 17 Hornet can push a 20 grain .177 cal bullet 3650 ft/sec and can be reloaded. this cartrige
will smoke the 17 WSM and the 17 K hornet can exceed 3800 ft/sec with the same bullet.

So I see no real advantage for the shooter and you have to buy all of the 17 WSM ammo. (Good
for the ammo maker ).

This is just my opinion as to the advantage/disadvantage of the cartrige.

J E CUSTOM

I was thinkin pretty much the same thing. I love my HMR & wouldn't mind having a 17Hornet either.... I have a feeling this particular cartridge may sink faster than the Titanic. No advantage anywhere, that I can see.

t

I have read that Winchester already had the case and they just necked it down. It was part of their fastener line. I imagine that saved in the cost of development.

Havent seen a 17 WSM rifle and I expect it will take some time befor we do. I read about the 17 Hornady Hornet about a year ago and am still looking for a CZ or Ruger rifle one of which I will get. At times I dont feel like reloading ammo so the 17 WSM cartridge looks good to me , that is if I can find an accurate rifle that shoots the round. Could be a fine 225- 250 yard prairie dog shooting rifle.

The earliest rifles won't be available until April, and Savage is the first to chamber for it. They developed a "new" rimfire and I thought it was a *** when I handled it last week at the SHOT show. Plastic stock, plastic trigger guard, rough bolt action. The Savage 93's I own are a much nicer rifle.

Hopefully some better rifles come out for this. I suspect that customers will be those who don't reload so a rimfire is easier and cheaper for them.

I shot one of the new savage b mag at the shot show. Have one ordered. I think it will be very popular round. There are way more people who don't reload vs those who do. Compairing centerfire to rim fire is like comparing apples to oranges. Main reason I'm picking one up is cheap varmint plinking and I think will make a great night time coyote round since rim fire is all that's allowed at night. And at $15 per 50 not too expensive to shoot.

As of yesterday, cant find one, the fella i use to order stuff for me says all his suppliers are out of stock, said he would back order one and let me know. Ammo for it seems to be pretty scarce for it to. Most all of the WMAs around here are shotgun and rimfire only so the WSM is apealing, especially on coyotes and hogs at longer ranges. To be honest, im kinda concerned about buying a gun that i cant get ammo for, hell ,im having trouble keeping my 22wmr fed! but were all having that trouble.....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.