new 162gr. a-max's w/"amp" vs. old lots

cakes

Has anybody noticed a difference between the old lots of 162gr a-max's and the new lots with the "amp" jacket? Old lots shot fantastic in my .284 for f-class and just ran a batch with the new lot. different ogive, had to crank down the seater another 4-5 thou. to get the same oal. ogives appear to be inconsistent as every 3rd or 4th comes out 2-3 thou. different in oal. With the old lots I could seat them all night and oal always within .001. Out to the range tomorrow to see how they do. If they shoot well I guess it a moot point, but I hate change. Eric

FYI, Figured someone would have replied by now but maybe I'm the only one shooting the 162's??? Slightly different ogive but after adjusting the seater the performance appears to be the same. Small sample of 20 of the new lot though..velocity,drop, and accuracy show no discernible difference that I can measure. EJ

I've been shooting the 162's for years.

Not sure what you mean when you say "amp".

Here's the progression of the 162 A-Max. Which bullet are you referring to?

DSCN12332.jpg

Thanks for the link.

Appears as though the "amp" jacket is on the new BTHP bullet, not the A-Max.

Entirely different bullet.

May want to stretch it out for testing as the different ogive may change the BC, even though accuracy and velocity may remain the same.

Joel- Yes it might change the BC somewhat. The new lots of A-Max's that I have are lot#2100664. Packaging is identical to the old a-max box but has the added notation "FEATURES AMP JACKETS". I had to replenish my supply of 6mm 105 a-max's and they have the same notation also. Haven't had a chance to test the 105's yet. I'll be using the new 162's at 600 next week and we'll see if there is any moa change with my pet load.

Shoot a ground hog or p dog at 2200fps or faster and you will appreciate the amp jackets, very thin at the meplat and boattail, I shot a 55gal drum, quarter sized entrance, 12 gauge style exit! Ground hogs virtually explode! But for real, their bc's are slightly higher, I measured 3 out of a lot of 100 of the 30cal 178 bthp and they were within .0002" in every important aspect, the best hornady bullets so far in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.