New 110 gr ELD-X in 25-06

jrkotz

Hornady part # 25418 is out and looks very promising with an impressive claimed BC of .465

After learning about the high BC selections in 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm, I had all but written off quarter bore. I ordered a box of these new bullets as soon as they became available. I'm hoping to find a load for my 24" douglass barreled 10 twist 25-06.

Anyone tried these yet? Was thinking I'd use 110 Accubond load data to start. If I can find a good combination, I think this will be my whitetail rig this year.

Never tried them, but I like the terminal performance of eldx and I would think the 110 accubond data should work

Might be a good fit in my 257Wby as well. Although the 100gr TSX Barnes shoots so good and it is built to hold together. However as stated there are very few high BC 257 bullets. I may look around and see if I can find some of these to try.

The TSX are my go to for a tough bullets. I used the 180 gr in 300 WSM to take a bull elk in CO and a successful plains game hunt in South Africa. They're really impressive. Penetration and expansion are 100% reliable.

Whitetail in PA and WV certainly don't need a premium bullet. I really like the idea of a high BC bullet at 110 gr. Seems like the perfect combination

Hornady part # 25418 is out and looks very promising with an impressive claimed BC of .465

After learning about the high BC selections in 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm, I had all but written off quarter bore. I ordered a box of these new bullets as soon as they became available. I'm hoping to find a load for my 24" douglass barreled 10 twist 25-06.

Anyone tried these yet? Was thinking I'd use 110 Accubond load data to start. If I can find a good combination, I think this will be my whitetail rig this year.

Those do look good and I've been happy with the performance of the 7mm 150 ELD-Xs on game so far (my kid is shooting them and out of 2 critters 1 antelope and a small bull elk, both bullets delivered pass throughs). One more option that I believe is generally overlooked are the Nosler 115 ballistic tips. I've never been able to stop one in a deer (ranges from 20 - 300 yards) they're super accurate in my 2506 and have decent BCs. I'm a big fan of Accubonds but have never found a need for them in my 25 because the only critter that has been able to stop one so far was a 400 lb black bear at about 125 yards. I didn't worry about not getting a pass through on that one.

Just a thought.

Cross

Glad to hear the 150s are treating you well in the 7mm Cross. What cartridge? Just curious.

I feel Nosler BCs are particularly inflated, although I really do like the ballistic tip line. I think I'm going to try the 120 NBT in my 7-08

Cartridge is a 7mm Remington but loaded down to a muzzle velocity of about 2850 because the kid only weighs 90 lbs.

We used the 120 BTs for a while and really liked them in a 7mm-08. They're tough little bullets

Glad to hear the 150s are treating you well in the 7mm Cross. What cartridge? Just curious.

I feel Nosler BCs are particularly inflated, although I really do like the ballistic tip line. I think I'm going to try the 120 NBT in my 7-08
There lr accubonds bcs sure were, now they have Doppler verified bcs and are much lower. I've found the g1 bc provided for the nbt to be quite accurate as far as g1 go.
I've shot a lot of deer with the 115gr nbt out of a 257. Results were generally epic

Got a couple hundred when they first come out and have started load development in 1:10" Hart. 4831 has been my go to powder in 25-06 for years, not sure it's gonna work with this bullet. Hornady said to use their 110 gr IB as a go by. Getting a funky left right grouping at 8 different seating depths. Looking for something little harder than the bergers for deer. No problem putting em down with the Berger 115s at 300 yds on mule deer and cow elk last year, just looking to minimize meat damage. Will probably pick load development back up in the early fall with a couple different powders, not sure which yet.

That doesn't sound promising.

I've been thinking of trying RL22, H4831SC or H1000

I have a bunch of H4831SC on hand, might start with that.

I'm hoping it's close to true. Seems like Hornady has really been trying to step up the game with the ELD line. I've had great results with RL 17,19 and 26 in other calibers. Maybe I should add some 22 to the inventory.

Edition 10 of the Hornady reloading manual has a lot of loads for the 110gr IB including RL17, RL22 and RL23. I load 100gr projectiles for 5 different 25-06 rifles, two of them thrive on RL22 while two love RL23. All four of these loads have single digit ESs.
The fifth using 100gr Partitions has taken a shine to RL17 at 3200 fps with an ES of 3.79.
Good luck with your load development, I am sure it will be a load of fun.

Recent Posts