Never use a SAFETY

I now carry my hunting rifles with an empty chamber until I see something I plan to shoot. I have lost out on jumped game because of this, but it's the safe thing to do in my book. Years ago I would carry the rifle loaded with the safety on while hunting, but I try to be super safe! I've seen and heard of way too many accidents with guns that were on safety!

just my 2 cents.

The guys I hunt with do the same thing out in Wyoming and at my camp in northern Michigan until we're out by ourselves and when we come back we unload them safely so everyone knows there will be no accidents. The only time I walk with a loaded gun is bird hunting.

Seeing as how this thread is current I thought this would be the appropriate place to put this link announcing the massive recall of 7.85 million Remington 700s. It's about time this happened after 6+ decades of misfires, injuries, and deaths! Below is the link to read about it and watch the video:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...gun/ar-BBgoPPI

Well since you took the time to watch that I think this is worth the 15 mins to take a look at. I watched msnbc's program a couple years ago and was all anti Remington 700 as well. Then I saw this and I'm not sure what to believe. Now I'm not taking one side or another. I have never owned a Remington rifle. This should just remind everyone to take everything with a grain of salt. We all know how the media can twist anything around and especially when it has anything to do with a firearm. I still don't know what to believe. The thing I got out of this thread and the Remington issues is: is always follow the gun safety rules. Because let's face it with an issue like the Remington one who do you trust? The media? I personally don't trust the media further than I can throw them. Anyways that's just my 2 cents.
Oh yeah here's the video:
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg[/ame]

I agree with Topgun 30-06 on this. I carry empty and even when I've jumped game I've had better than 50% success getting a kill shot after taking the time to chamber a round. I used to work in our local hospital ER and saw a number of "accidents" where friends and family shot each other thinking the safety would work or there was no way they could bump the rifle hard enough to fire a round. My own cousin shot through the floor of my truck while I was zipping down the highway because he thought the safety was on so he pulled the trigger with the pin resting on a live round. Establish a sage protocol and stick to it. I teach my kids that abstinence is the only 100% sure way to avoid a teen pregnancy. In a way, this is the same rule of thumb for safe hunting. An empty chamber is the only way to 100% ensure the safety of yourself and your companions - expect the same of those you hunt with.

I agree with Topgun 30-06 on this. I carry empty and even when I've jumped game I've had better than 50% success getting a kill shot after taking the time to chamber a round. I used to work in our local hospital ER and saw a number of "accidents" where friends and family shot each other thinking the safety would work or there was no way they could bump the rifle hard enough to fire a round. My own cousin shot through the floor of my truck while I was zipping down the highway because he thought the safety was on so he pulled the trigger with the pin resting on a live round. Establish a sage protocol and stick to it. I teach my kids that abstinence is the only 100% sure way to avoid a teen pregnancy. In a way, this is the same rule of thumb for safe hunting. An empty chamber is the only way to 100% ensure the safety of yourself and your companions - expect the same of those you hunt with.

How's your cousin?

Defective gun OK ,,,, pointed at somebody. End of story.

When I go hunting deer hunting, I am armed with a CHL , and it could be 357, 44 mag or 45ACP, thats before I get out . Then I unload ATV put rifle in scabbard with loaded magazine/ empty chamber... When I get to where I'm going It gets a round in the chamber with safety on and I hunt.... Now hunting a ranch is different my Camera is on the dash, binoculars and E call.
They are ready and OMG just thought if the E call went off accidently , because I left the batteries in it ! Or my camera accidently flashed a picture woo woo ...

Ranch hunting is different because I can search with my truck. After I get in the gate at the ranch, my long range rifle gets up in the front seat with me and she has a 16X scope for those shots 300 yds on out to 800 yds. She gets a couple in mag, and empty chamber. My 870 has 3 slugs put in it on an empty chamber, and she gets in the back scabard on the ATV (with the cover off). My DPMS LR 308 gets a 20 rd Mag and gets on the front rifle carrier, with an empty chamber...Bolt is locked open..

If I see hogs way out , I jump out of the truck with the Savage for the long shots. So, when the hogs go into the gullies and brush, I leave the bolt-action in the truck, unload the ATV and take off to catch up with them... When I get to a certain distance, I stop and hit the danger button and the DPMS is loaded with safety on. Now I ease along the outside of brush and gullies, looking for them. When they come out I grab the Hog destroyer off the rack and turn them into bacon.... I have seen more than 40 hogs in a group laying up in gullies and high grass..... Now Thats the way I hunt.... I do it for sport but I clean this ranch for 3 to 6 months at a time..... and if someone is scairt, to have a round in the chamber with safety on... lol , maybe they should just stay home.... The bolt stick en up and safety off, so they can close it and fire? Give me a break!

Defective gun OK ,,,, pointed at somebody. End of story.

When I go hunting deer , I am armed with a CHL , and it could be 357, 44 mag or 45 ACP, that's before I get out . Then I unload ATV put rifle in scabbard with loaded magazine/ empty chamber... When I get to where I'm going, It gets a round in the chamber with safety on and I hunt.... Now hunting a ranch is different my Camera is on the dash, binoculars and E call.
They are ready and OMG just thought "if" the E call went off accidentally , because I left the batteries in it ! Or my camera accidentally flashed a picture woo woo ...

Ranch hunting is different because I can search with my truck. After I get in the gate at the ranch, my long range rifle gets up in the front seat with me and she has a 16X scope for those shots 300 yds on out to 800 yds. She gets a couple in mag, and empty chamber. My 870 has 3 slugs put in it on an empty chamber, and she gets in the back scabbard on the ATV (with the cover off). My DPMS LR 308 gets a 20 rd Mag and gets on the front rifle carrier, with an empty chamber...Bolt is locked open..

If I see hogs way out , I jump out of the truck with the Savage for the long shots. So, when the hogs go into the gullies and brush, I leave the bolt-action in the truck, unload the ATV and take off to catch up with them... When I get to a certain distance, I stop and hit the danger button and the DPMS is loaded with safety on. Now I ease along the outside of brush and gullies, looking for them. When they come out I grab the Hog destroyer off the rack and turn them into bacon.... I have seen more than 40 hogs in a group laying up in gullies and high grass..... Now Thats the way I hunt.... I do it for sport, but I clean this ranch for 3 to 6 months at a time..... and if someone is scairt, to have a round in the chamber with safety on... lol , maybe they should just stay home.... The bolt stick en up and safety off, so they can close it and fire? Give me a break!

Just read thru the last several pages. All this yawning from Hunterbob is making me tired. The fact that safety is so boring to Bob is pretty unsettling in itself. Maybe those comment should be saved for the bragging board.
Like " So you killed a 20 pt at 1200 yards.......yawn"

(yawn) its stuff that we are aware of all the time, safe gun handling is on our minds all the while we are in the field... pretty simple... It appears that there are careless hunters, and ignorant ones. Some juust think they know it all. We have inform them a little anyway. It's our duty. Don't you think, shootinmathews. Some guys have hardly ever been in the field and never had a mentor ....

(yawn) its stuff that we are aware of all the time, safe gun handling is on our minds all the while we are in the field... pretty simple... It appears that there are careless hunters, and ignorant ones. Some juust think they know it all. We have inform them a little anyway. It's our duty. Don't you think, shootinmathews. Some guys have hardly ever been in the field and never had a mentor ....

Yes it is our duty to inform the untaught ones of safe handling. I apologize if I came across as a peckerhead, I just don't feel yawning in a safety discussion is appropriate. Kids caught yawning during one of my safety lectures or hunter education get to stand out in the cold for a few minutes to wake up.

Ok, apology accepted, shootinmathews, and I know some people can't read details very well, so I use details to make them think... A typical hunt and two scenarios I gave. I have been an instructor for over 20 years myself. I gave a typical hunt for safety discussion. Normally I start out with a real simple one... Like 3 hunters walking abreast pheasant hunting... who shoots when bird going overhead?

Ok, apology accepted, shootinmathews, and I know some people can't read details very well, so I use details to make them think... A typical hunt and two scenarios I gave. I have been an instructor for over 20 years myself. I gave a typical hunt for safety discussion. Normally I start out with a real simple one... Like 3 hunters walking abreast pheasant hunting... who shoots when bird going overhead?

I'm fine with the scenarios you gave. It's the yawning that is annoying. If you've been an instructor for 20 years then I'd think yawning during a safety discussion would bother you too. My wife and I work with 3 different organizations involving youth and outdoor activities. And if a person was doing as much yawning as you when I was talking safety I'd have their mommy take them home and tell her to bring them back when they were rested up.

shootinmathewss , this discussion is over ,,, go ahead and say you won.. I suggest you save the rest of your non-sense for now, and say it to my face... Its easy to talk the talk ...

shootinmathewss , this discussion is over ,,, go ahead and say you won.. I suggest you save the rest of your non-sense for now, and say it to my face... Its easy to talk the talk ...

That's real grown up talk. And what exactly would you do if he said that gun safety is serious to your face? The way your talking and yawning so much your a little grumpy and need a nap. Do you talk to people you instruct that way? What do you instruct ? Its definitely not manners and respecting peoples opinion...

I used to act like you then I quit drinking.... (Yawn)

That's real grown up talk. And what exactly would you do if he said that gun safety is serious to your face? The way your talking and yawning so much your a little grumpy and need a nap. Do you talk to people you instruct that way? What do you instruct ? Its definitely not manners and respecting peoples opinion...

I used to act like you then I quit drinking.... (Yawn)

Amen. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.