Never thought I'd own a .308

sniperjwt

Well I thought I would never bring myself to getting a 308 but here it is. I got this off of a trade the other day. It's a Remington VLS 26" heavy barrel. Alright so being new to the 308 world what do I need to know about these little buggers. I have already ordered some brass, dies, and some 208grain AMax's. I have about 2 lbs of RL17 powder ( I herd it was good for the heavy 308 bullets). I just threw the scope on it for the pic. I will be putting a different one on it.

37156cf5.jpg

A .308 can be a darned fine round for precision shooting. Based on your powder & bullet selection, I'd guess you may have been reading some of Montana Marine's posts on shooting heavy bullets from the .308 Win. Shane knows his stuff with those heavy bullet loads.

Most of my shooting with one has been with 155 - 175 grain bullets, loaded over Varget. I'll also dip down to the 110 - 130 gr bullets for varmint shooting, and occasionally load something in the 190+ gr range just for the heck of it.

Lapua brass is excellent, but I've also loaded excellent ammo in good old Winchester brass.

Switching to an in-line bullet seating die was very important to achieving accuracy downrange.

Nice looking rifle. Don't care much for the scope mounts... Too high for this fellow!

Every factory Remington I've run into had a very long leade or free-bore. Don't expect to be able to load all bullets out far enough to touch (or even approach) the lands, and still work through the magazine. Doesn't seem to hurt accuracy much though. I shot fine groups with the factory barrel.

The .308 is kind of the workhorse of the precision rifle stable. Not flashy, but it gets the job done very well. Took me a while to warm up to it, but for the past 15 years I've shot more .308 than all the other rifle cartridges combined - except the .22 long rifle of course! Excellent barrel life, modest recoil, easy to develop very accurate loads. Lethal on deer sized game at longish distances. Versatile enough to deal with varmint hunting, or big game. It's got a lot going for it.

Here's a link to a fine article on loading the .308 Win:
.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

Welcome to the .308 Win club! Regards, Guy

Great choice of powder/bullet. I run this load exclusively in my .308. I had it built around that combo. I am shooting the 208 at over 2700fps and easiy sub .5moa to 425yards (furthest I've shot on paper besides f-class). And also an excellence performer at 1000. My rifle is throated for the 208 however.

I am using Winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers, and 48gr of RL17. This is not a max load IN MY RIFLE start at 44 and work up if you have a long throat.

Nice looking rig. Congratulations on getting a 308. I think you'll enjoy it.

Wish I'd gotten mine years ago! Now I sit there and look at the ballistics between the .308 and my .270 and wonder why I ever got the .270? Those little buggers are easy to load and fun to shoot. The options are limitless as far as bullets go. You can find ammo anywhere if you need to go that route. My only dilemma now is what to turn my old .270 in to. I'm thinking 7mm Rem. Mag.

Wish I'd gotten mine years ago! Now I sit there and look at the ballistics between the .308 and my .270 and wonder why I ever got the .270? Those little buggers are easy to load and fun to shoot. The options are limitless as far as bullets go. You can find ammo anywhere if you need to go that route. My only dilemma now is what to turn my old .270 in to. I'm thinking 7mm Rem. Mag.

270 WSM with the 150 Berger at top velocity. It will be a real stomper! gun)

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.