Never Spoil your Bird Dog!

Years ago, when I got my first GSP, I read a book written by a guy who had spent the majority of his adult life training bird dogs. Don't remember the title or the guys name and can't find the book. What I do remember is this: Keeping your bird dog in your house will not "ruin their nose". Keep them close to you and your family.....if they can't or won't hunt, you have a wonderful pet.
My personal thoughts: I spoil my dog rotten. He absolutely loves everyone in my family and is a beast on upland game birds. The dog is working it's *** of for you so you **** well better treat it how YOU would want to be treated.

Years ago, when I got my first GSP, I read a book written by a guy who had spent the majority of his adult life training bird dogs. Don't remember the title or the guys name and can't find the book. What I do remember is this: Keeping your bird dog in your house will not "ruin their nose". Keep them close to you and your family.....if they can't or won't hunt, you have a wonderful pet.
My personal thoughts: I spoil my dog rotten. He absolutely loves everyone in my family and is a beast on upland game birds. The dog is working it's *** of for you so you **** well better treat it how YOU would want to be treated.
My pets are my children if they have good hunting skills that is a bonus, but when kept close to your family, they will instinctively become a good guard dog!

Hey,

So when I was growing up most bird dogs stayed outside, were fed table scraps and cheap dog food. They certainly weren't spoiled. So here's what happens in my house now. This is my soon to be 13 year old Brit. She's an incredible bird dog, I'll hunt her half days this year and it'll probably be her last big hunting year.
Take Care
View attachment 450936

Attachments

• 20221107_192549.jpg
    20221107_192549.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Hey,

So when I was growing up most bird dogs stayed outside, were fed table scraps and cheap dog food. They certainly weren't spoiled. So here's what happens in my house now. This is my soon to be 13 year old Brit. She's an incredible bird dog, I'll hunt her half days this year and it'll probably be her last big hunting year.
Take Care
View attachment 450936
Hey,

Take Care
View attachment 450936
My Britt is 12 and is my best buddy had GSP which are great to hyper for me. Britts have the best personality

Attachments

• 20221107_192550.jpg
    20221107_192550.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Ok CrippledEagle, I see that your profile says you are in Florida but you must be from my neck of the woods. One of my favorite walleye fishing lakes is Pymatuning and only about 40 minutes from me.
I lived in Pittsburgh for over 20 years. I was a rep in the shooting sports and tackle industry. Retired in 1993, moved to Arizona, hated it and moved to south Florida.

Hey, my birthday girl (lab, she's 10 today) and her pack mates. It's rough here, ha ha!
Take Care

Attachments

• 393D5D10-06A8-4490-B9E7-91B116CA395C.jpeg
    393D5D10-06A8-4490-B9E7-91B116CA395C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • B661442C-DCD5-41C6-9CFB-C8C6789B8079.jpeg
    B661442C-DCD5-41C6-9CFB-C8C6789B8079.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 108E6747-4A58-4F69-9DCB-FA88AC026240.jpeg
    108E6747-4A58-4F69-9DCB-FA88AC026240.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 3B4E666B-F625-4C97-8675-6D64F4790ED7.jpeg
    3B4E666B-F625-4C97-8675-6D64F4790ED7.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 66
That old philosophy of, " You gotta keep `em outside in a kennel year round and half starved to have a good bird dog " is just a load of BS. They DO have to be exercised and in shape, but treatment that I always considered cruel...no way.

That old philosophy of, " You gotta keep `em outside in a kennel year round and half starved to have a good bird dog " is just a load of BS. They DO have to be exercised and in shape, but treatment that I always considered cruel...no way.
I think that was just an excuse someone made up to excuse their abusive behavior of a good bird dog. If you have sled dogs....sure, there's a reason to keep them outside all year. Aside from that......

I think that was just an excuse someone made up to excuse their abusive behavior of a good bird dog. If you have sled dogs....sure, there's a reason to keep them outside all year. Aside from that......
I've always kept my dog indoors since I feel that you and the dog get a better understanding of each other's personality.
With that being said I think there's nothing wrong with keeping a dog outside in a kennel if it's clean and has shelter for inclement weather. This isn't what I consider mistreatment or abuse. No water, lack of feeding and neglect are!
This is just my opinion and of course everyone has one.

I remember going to a big time field trial years ago on Hoffman game lands here in NC. I remember seeing how many expensive dogs were housed in their kennels there. No one around them. Some just laying around, others barking their heads off. Lots of very nice camper/horse trailer combos with many empty.
Then I remember seeing Mrs. Smith of the famed Smith Setters sitting out front of her camper combo with her two setters laying on her right and left. Her gently rubbing one or the other.

Having been part of multiple hall-of-fame winners - I think she knows a little bit about how to treat her "family members".

Recent Posts