Never reloaded

Cricket

Hi I am going to buy a reloading kit or what ever you want to call it. I have nothing and need everything which do you all recommend. I am reloading for 300 wby just for hunting

Hornady, RCBS, Lyman all are a great choice. Stick with the O frame style very relyble and strong.
Witch ever one you choose get a second manual in my opinion the lyman manual is the best.
Now IMO if you want the Cadalac get
Forster coax press,
both a Speer and Lyman manual
your choice of dies
Lyman universal case trimmer
chamfer tool
a powder throw (Lyman, RCBS, Horady and Lee are all good choices)
a scale I use the Lee beam scale and a digital
a powder trickler
a loading block
primer pocket cleaner

this will get you going

I'm happy with the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit, good solid starting point, always room for upgrades.

Thanks guys. Stupid question say I got the kit now how do I make up a load. Do I go in the book and pick a load for 300 wby and start from there sorry no nowledge at all in reloading

Befire you do anything with the hardware, read the book. Not just the Speer Book that came with the press but go buy a couple of books from the brand of pills you want to load.

You have to get the correct powder (good luck with that), typically it takes me 3 to 4 months on propellant, you'll need the correct primers, reloading dies, a case trimmer, a set of dial or didital calipers just to get started and thats loadinjg to recommended specification, whic you should do because you don't know squat.

Use the wrong components and you'll destroy your firearm.

Hornady, RCBS, Lyman all are a great choice. Stick with the O frame style very relyble and strong.
Witch ever one you choose get a second manual in my opinion the lyman manual is the best.
Now IMO if you want the Cadalac get
Forster coax press,
both a Speer and Lyman manual
your choice of dies
Lyman universal case trimmer
chamfer tool
a powder throw (Lyman, RCBS, Horady and Lee are all good choices)
a scale I use the Lee beam scale and a digital
a powder trickler
a loading block
primer pocket cleaner

this will get you going

* The .300 mag is a good sized case. Right about an "O frame" or the Forster. I prefer the Forster

* I use a Lyman #55 powder measurer a lot, and it's a good one (find a U.S. made one). None are good for the big stick type powders he'll often want to use, so you simply trickle the loads to finish up.

* Now I'm one of many that thinks there's no better bullet seater than a Forster. What you size with his kind of an iffy decision. None work all that well. I recommend spending the extra dollars and buy an Innovative Tech sizer to go along with the other .300 die.

* I like the Hodgon manual, and the Accurate manual because they are not afraid to publish chsmber pressure specs.

* I would replace the Lyman trimmer with a Wilson. Just about any trimmer will be better than a Lyman (except for a file trim die)

* The Forster press has an excellent priming device. Better than the others for sure. But I'd go with something like a K&M hand priming tool. The Sinclair is alsoan excellent tool, but the K&M is cheaper.

* I don't even own a beam scale anymore. Have not had one for about twelve years, and really don't miss them. My first electronic scale was an RCBS that was built by Pact. Was stolen, and I simply replaced it with a Pact. Been using it for almost 15 years now. I do have a second one similar to it, and have been known to set them up in tandum. I also own a Pact BBK that I use at the range. The second scale has the inferred port for use with their auto measurer. I have it, and rarely use it. But it works very well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would add a good quality 1" micrometer, and a 6" digital caliper. Buy good stuff as you'll soon see the difference. The Hornaday Lock & Load case gauge is almost a must have. For checking sized cases and loaded rounds for runout, I recommend the NECO gauge.
gary

* The .300 mag is a good sized case. Right about an "O frame" or the Forster. I prefer the Forster

* I use a Lyman #55 powder measurer a lot, and it's a good one (find a U.S. made one). None are good for the big stick type powders he'll often want to use, so you simply trickle the loads to finish up.

* Now I'm one of many that thinks there's no better bullet seater than a Forster. What you size with his kind of an iffy decision. None work all that well. I recommend spending the extra dollars and buy an Innovative Tech sizer to go along with the other .300 die.

* I like the Hodgon manual, and the Accurate manual because they are not afraid to publish chsmber pressure specs.

* I would replace the Lyman trimmer with a Wilson. Just about any trimmer will be better than a Lyman (except for a file trim die)

* The Forster press has an excellent priming device. Better than the others for sure. But I'd go with something like a K&M hand priming tool. The Sinclair is alsoan excellent tool, but the K&M is cheaper.

* I don't even own a beam scale anymore. Have not had one for about twelve years, and really don't miss them. My first electronic scale was an RCBS that was built by Pact. Was stolen, and I simply replaced it with a Pact. Been using it for almost 15 years now. I do have a second one similar to it, and have been known to set them up in tandum. I also own a Pact BBK that I use at the range. The second scale has the inferred port for use with their auto measurer. I have it, and rarely use it. But it works very well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would add a good quality 1" micrometer, and a 6" digital caliper. Buy good stuff as you'll soon see the difference. The Hornaday Lock & Load case gauge is almost a must have. For checking sized cases and loaded rounds for runout, I recommend the NECO gauge.
gary

Gary...

Give him a break, he's just starting out. He has to crawl first and he has the RCBS reloading kit (esseintials)...just say'in....

Personally, I don't think the Wilson trimmer is WAS. I'll take a Giraud or a WFT anyday. All the lathe type trimmers suffer from the same issues...runout.