Nevada Mulie

March244

Hey guys,
my dad and I were able to get a couple mulie tags for the Ruby Mountains in Nevada for this fall. I've been reading all over about the area, but figured I'd ask if anyone had hunted this area, and had any suggestions for the area, or places to get more info for it.
Also, for those who have have hunted it, what would be an average distance I'll be looking at shooting? 200 or less? 500 or less?

Thanks in advance.

Who did you get drawn with?I hunted antelope last year and we stayed in Lamoille valley and spent a afternoon up in the park area-beautiful country.We are thinking about doing a summer horse back trip this summer.
I would count on a 300-500 shot but I would check with your guide.

We aren't using a guide. We were able to get a couple of land owner tags, and although we've both driven by the ruby's countless times, neither of us have ever had the chance get down into them and roam around.

I used to live in northern NV and i honestly miss the hunting SO much there. The ruby moutains are a very rugged zone of units. Every unit in NV is application only and 101-108 has the most tags given out and thats due to great deer numbers and the sheer vastness of that zone. As is with any area where lots of tags are given, it will be competetive hunting! Unless steep tall mountains dont bother you then hunting high and hard will yeild best results. All of Nevada is viable to produce monster animals and many large mulies have come out of the rubies.

Any where off the travelled path is a great starting point. Ive seen good numbers on the east humboldts (101) up in the deeth valley area. In 102 i did well upslope of the fish hatchery at the marshes. Lots of timber and lots of country in this zone so any where could be the honey-whole so glass the hell out of it hard!!! All things dependant like weather, hunter pressure, seasonal deer numbers. From a big picture standpoint, one of americas biggest migrations encompasses northeastern NV so hit up NDOW biologists if you get a chance. There again; weather and such will dictate such patterns every year.

Its steep, rocky and everything you'd expect of nevada with a good mix of grass/ sage, juniper, mahogany, and aspen/ timber stands so shots can range from 100 yards to however far you want to shoot. Id say anything under 300 yards is a **** good stalk ( im no bow hunter so im a bit bias to LR hunting):)

Good luck and happy hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.