Nesika 20 moa bases

Ray Prager

Hey Guys ,
I just acquired 2 Nesika actions , model T and Model V ... any options for bases Besides spending $200 each for bases ...8x40 screws ... I contacted Ken Farrel / EGW .. waiting to hear ...
thanks
Me

You can buy two of mine for $180 each with screws.:D

I assume you have 1.350 actions.?

I have K length on the shelf ready to go which will run just fine on your T. I have stock for the V/L/M models but they aren't done yet. There's a recent thread about them on here. Nothing special, just 100% machined/finished from SS bar stock.

Seriously, there's a reason they are expensive, they are labor intensive to make. Nesika is now using a wire EDM to cut the contour. That op alone runs about 2 bucks a minute and takes probably about 5-8 minutes per part. Never mind loading/unloading.

Then you have to machine all them little bastage slots that will eat a little 3/16 endmill in short order. Standing them on end and using a key cutter or saw is an option if you have a huge machine with CAT50 tool holders, a CAT40 is probably going to cause chatter and make the whole shop sound like it's ground zero for a banshee convention. Then you have to contend with the material stress relieving and turning into a **** banana the moment you loosen the vice. Now it's more time on a press straightening the dern things. The EDM helps to reduce it, but it doesn't completely go away no matter what you do.

Point is, such a stupidly simple looking part takes about 40 minutes to build on a CNC. That's just cycle time. Never mind programming them. Then going back and editing the programming/drawings for each individual model/brand/included minutes of angle, etc.

You can spend a week on that alone.

not harping, just educating.

cheers,

C

Ray,
Glen uses the same oddball screw spacing on the Defiance actions so here is what I did for my Defiance Long action. The distance between the 2 front holes and between the 2 back holes is the same as Savage but the distance between the 2 middle ones is different. I got a Savage short action Round back EGW 20 MOA base and drilled a new hole in the base for the rear hole at the front of the action. I only have 3 screws holding the mount but the vast majority of force on the mount is through the rear of the mount when under recoil so I think it will be ok. Brownells has the screws here. BROWNELLS : Long 6-48 & 8-40 Screw Kit (080-574-006) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

You will have to trim them, you may be able to find the right length at Midway, I didn't measure mine so I am not sure what the proper length is. I just kept cutting until they fit.
You about need a mill with a good table to get the hole drilled in the right spot on the rail though.

It's looking bad for me making it to Pierre so maybe I'll make it to Pella, definately will be at Byers.

Later,

James

Thanks for the info ....Chad
I'm aware of operating costs /over head costs ...etc.
But it makes me wonder ... when I see a Manufacturer use something non standard , Like hole spacing ... and then charge higher prices for the product (bases), because only theirs fit . But Hey What the Hell .. .. they make it , They can charge what they want .
But its still my choice to buy or not .

James,
Thanks for the info , I'm setting up some steel Weaver Style bases for now . should work ...and I'll use Burris Sig Rings (inserts) for now . Like I said , I have a couple suppliers looking into this ...
I'm try'n to get to Pella , but I've had to take a couple steps backwards lately (car exspenses ) . And I don't have the New Pistol Stock yet . But I will be shooting at CRC .
Thanks Again Guys
Ray

FWIW Glen doesn't make a base (least to my knowledge anyway) cause if he did I'd be happily buying them from him as they are a pain in the butt and I loath cleaning SS chips out of my machine. It never fails that my hands end up looking like I got in a fist fight with a box of razor blades.

The hole location is rather mute because a regular Remmy style base wouldn't work anyway as the rear bridge of the reciever is a constant diameter. It doesn't have the lowered feature like a 700 does. He does make a lowered rear bridge but your Nesika's don't have this, nor have they ever.

Another option are the rail blanks from Nightforce. There you drill your own holes but they are aluminum I believe. It's an option but I personally wouldn't do it because what you end up with is a really nice living room full of cool stuff with a white plastic patio chair stuck right in the middle. That's just my opinion of course so take it for what its worth. (not much) It's not meant to be against NF in any way (I'm a dealer btw) it has to do with a marquee SS action with a black anodized AL base that now has bright shiny silver holes drilled in it.

Just doesn't look right.

Chad , thanks again ....
I'll see where this leads me ... By the way , your Bedding Jobs are some of the nicest .. I've ever seen ...

Ray

Yep, I have a Nesika base for a Model L action. It cost 240.00 and the big selling point was that it was double pinned to the action plus the screws. Turned out it was not pinned at all and I have not found any rings that will fit it. Oh, well it makes a pretty good hammer in a pinch. I would not give 2.00 for another one let alone 200.00

Agustus,

Something is definitely wrong. (Duh!)

So, tell you what. I didn't get "NesikaChad" as a name for no reason. I've made it a practice of doing what I'm going to offer because I truly believe in the product. Glen Harris and Mike Allen worked their butts off building that name from nothing. I did as well.

Send me your action and I'll have a base on it in short order.

No charge, no BS, no 6 month wait.

Visit my site for the mailing info.

Chad Dixon,
Gunmaker

Chad, thanks for the reply. I wished I had gotten a response like that when I was having the problem. I have long since replaced the base with another from a different manufacturer and the rifle is shooting nice so I dont want to change anything. I dealt almost exclusively with a man named Richard. Anyway, its over and done unless you want to refund my money, if you decide to do so I have to warn you the base is not in the same condition as it was when recieved. I have used it for a hammer from time to time and it has a few dings on it. OK---- it has a LOT of dings on it.

I too know that name and more than once it resulted in me using innocuous objects as a hammer-usually against my forehead.

If your Nesika ever gives you fits, look me up. Be more than happy to help.

All the best,

C

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.