Nephew's Transformed Rifle!

whats the cost on getting your lugs lapped and how much does it help the accuracy of your rifle?

whats the cost on getting your lugs lapped and how much does it help the accuracy of your rifle?

recrown barrel, lap lugs, pillar bed and skim coat cost $250. Rifle went from ~1moa to .5moa or better. Because three things were done at the same time, I cannot isolate the effect of lapping the lugs.

I have a couple questions, since I am looking at doing something very similar to this but in 30-06. Why did you go with the SPS instead of ADL? I was told that the only difference was the sps has the hinged drop plate at the bottom and a couple hundred dollars more expensive...also, with the new stock that you got, does it have the hinged drop plate? Do any of the aftermarket stocks have the hinged plate? When customizing a rifle, do most people not care about that feature? I guess the last couple questions could be answered by anybody. Thanks for any and all input. It will be much appreciated.

I have a couple questions, since I am looking at doing something very similar to this but in 30-06. Why did you go with the SPS instead of ADL? I was told that the only difference was the sps has the hinged drop plate at the bottom and a couple hundred dollars more expensive...also, with the new stock that you got, does it have the hinged drop plate? Do any of the aftermarket stocks have the hinged plate? When customizing a rifle, do most people not care about that feature? I guess the last couple questions could be answered by anybody. Thanks for any and all input. It will be much appreciated.

SPS vs. ADL: Perhaps I misspoke when I first posted. I am actually not exactly sure the rifle is an SPS. I can say that it does NOT have the hinged floor plate. Regardless, the rifle selection was based on the fact that it was a Cabela's Special, meaning the rifle was complete with a scope, rings and bases. Essentially all nephew would have to do is bore-site it, load it, site it in, then go kill deer.

When the stock was upgraded, it was done with a stock that does not have the floorplate opening. This is an upgrade that could certainly be done at a later date. Because the intended use for this rifle is a carry-rifle, there was no real reason to have a hinged floor plate.

When you're looking at aftermarket stocks for Rem700 rifles, you will see that many companies have both an ADL version (no floor plate) and a BDL version (with floor plate).

Whether or not people care about the floorplate feature, that is up to you. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to a hunting carry-rifle, it doesn't really matter to me. As a matter of fact, my personal carry rifle http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/ does not have a hinged floor plate.

By contrast, my tactical competition rifle http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/ did initially have the hinged floorplate. It was ultimately removed and changed to a detachable box magazine.

If you have anymore questions about your build, feel free to PM me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.