Negative Vendor Report

crawlnshoot

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not please move it.

Fellow Members,
I have been very hesitant to post this experience with one of our vendors and now do so only after more than five months of waiting and unfulfilled promises. In November of 2006 I ordered a Model 7000 action, 2 barrels, Jewell trigger, HS Precision BDL bottom metal and detachable 5 round magazine, and 30-minute scope base from Candi at Lawton Machine and was given a quoted price.
After several months of dealing with another vendor over his failure to deliver the stock he had been paid for, I finally received the barreled action and extra barrel from Lawton. When I called to inquire about the remainder of the order, I found out that evidently "Candi" had realized she had drastically misquoted the pricing of the accessories, and had evidently altered the computer records to indicate that these items had not been paid for.
I spoke with Barney in July, 2007, Barney explained what the records indicated I had paid for and that there was an excess in my payment to supply a Shilen trigger but not a Jewell, in fairness to him, he had been out of town when the original order had been placed and only had their copy of the order to go by. Barney told me that if he did not have the trigger in stock, it would take 2 – 3 weeks to ship.
I called Candi in September to enquire about the trigger; she said "things have been crazy around here and that she would get the trigger right out to me", on October 20th. I sent an email to Lawton informing them it had now been four (4) months since the trigger had been promised and that I was abandoning the project rifle. I requested they send me a refund check instead.
On October 23rd. I received a reply from Candi apologizing for the delay along with a promise to mail a check the next day. I have still not received the check, nor a response to the last email regarding it. To say that I am disappointed with my experience would be an understatement. This may be just an isolated incident, but it has caused me to believe otherwise and possibly forewarn other members.

Jim Berry

Thanks for the report. I hope you get everything figured out.
I simply cannot tolerate this kind of bullcrap from companies anymore. The rest of us would be run out of business if we operated this way and it seems the vast majority of gun related industries behave this way unfortunately.

Good heads up, and good to inform prospective customers of issues like this.

I hope you recieve your money back soon and the issue get resolved. Totally agree with goodgrooper's post that this is intolerable.

I will have a rifle built soon and this is good info to pass on to others like myself.

Thank you.

The rest of us would be run out of business if we operated this way and it seems the vast majority of gun related industries behave this way unfortunately.

Why is that??? I've noticed the same thing. For a large portion of the gun industry, customer service sucks.

As a rifle builder I have seen this with all companies dealing with all rifle componants, has gotten much worse this past year then ever before and it seems to be nearly across the board.

Unfortunately, its hard to explain to your customers why their rifles are going to be 6 months late because you still do not have that receiver or barrel or stock they have been waiting for patiently for the last 8 months!!!

Really puts us smiths in a bad spot even though we have no control of this at all. All it does is back us up into a corner and turn us into the buffer for companies that can not get their ducks in a row.

Anyway, I understand your frustration totally, unfortunately, this seems to be industry wide for the most part. There are still some companies that are on the money.

I will list the ones I have yet to have any problems with getting componants on time:

Lilja barrels
Manner stocks
Nesika Bay receivers

Of all the companies I order parts from, these are the best as far as shipping on time and getting you what you order and a quality part. Other companies have done very well and hic ups here and there are understandable but some companies are just chronically late or worse yet, you have to fight to get every part you order. It is a real source of stress for this smith anyway and all we can do is ask please be patient to our customers......

It is hard to deal with.

Kirby Allen(50)

Why just bash Lawton

Why have you only mentioned Lawton when you have had issues with a stock supplier aswell. it seems like you have an agenda I have never had a problem with coraspondence with them. Why noy use the telephone.
As for this post you are not willing to mention the stock manufacurers name who did not supply anything seems a bit strange.

Cheers Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts