Neep opinions on new hunting rifle

Still creeping around. With my lower back issue slowly getting worse over time sitting at the desk for any length of time is getting to be a real problem which tends to limit my time here quite a bit. I still try to check in regularly in the STW forum and here on this page though at least enough to see what everyone's talking about. WR

I hate that for you. But if it's any consolation, I feel your pain. I had a motorcycle wreck in 2007 that messed my back up pretty **** good. My forward momentum was stopped by hitting back-first across a STOP sign post, and it bent me backwards too far. My issues are when I stand or bend for a long time, or try to pickup anything too heavy. My last 10" of spine feels like it's constantly fused together 24/7. Even when I sit in a chair, I have to sit straight-up or with my back straight leaning forward. Which is also why I prefer shooting from a sitting position versus laying prone.

There will always be something "newer and better" but to what end? I prefer to keep it simple and stick with the classics and ammo availability/options.

Long range: 300WM/7mmRM
Mid-range: 30-06/.280/.270/.308

Choose the one that meets your needs.

There will always be something "newer and better" but to what end? I prefer to keep it simple and stick with the classics and ammo availability/options.

Long range: 300WM/7mmRM
Mid-range: 30-06/.280/.270/.308

Choose the one that meets your needs.

That means a 6.5SLR for me. It is a wildcat with two grains more water capacity than a .264 Win Mag. It fits in a six lug Weatherby because it is based on a 9.3X64 Brenneke. With a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 it weighs 6lb 14 oz. Perfect! :)

That means a 6.5SLR for me. It is a wildcat with two grains more water capacity than a .264 Win Mag. It fits in a six lug Weatherby because it is based on a 9.3X64 Brenneke. With a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 it weighs 6lb 14 oz. Perfect! :)

We must be thinking of 2 different "6.5 SLR". My 6.5 SLR is based off the .308 Win case, I use .243 Win cases and neck up myself. Basically a .260 Rem with the 6.5x47L neck and shoulder design.
L-R:
6.5 SLR fire formed case, .243 Win run through 6.5 SLR FL die, .243 Win case

lancetkenyon,

I have no idea what the "SLR" stands for in yours, but I don't think anyone is going to guess what my SLR stands for. My 6.5SLR is wildcat number about fifteen. Dave Manson at Precision Reamers named it. (He alsways does good work for me.) It stands for Sue Loves Rich and doesn't hastle him about his wildcats. I made a wildcat using a bunch of .264 brass I had. I necked it to .224 and shortened it so that it had about the same capacity as a .30-06. I called it a .224MBOC.

lancetkenyon,

I have no idea what the "SLR" stands for in yours, but I don't think anyone is going to guess what my SLR stands for. My 6.5SLR is wildcat number about fifteen. Dave Manson at Precision Reamers named it. (He alsways does good work for me.) It stands for Sue Loves Rich and doesn't hastle him about his wildcats. I made a wildcat using a bunch of .264 brass I had. I necked it to .224 and shortened it so that it had about the same capacity as a .30-06. I called it a .224MBOC.

That is awesome! 6.5 SLR = Super Long Range.

MBOC?
Makes Balloons Out of Coyotes?
Muzzle Blast Offends Co-shooters?
Moves Beyond Our Control?
Mushrooms Bullets On Contact?
Melts Barrels On Combustion?
Mutilates Bunnies Of Course?
Mega Boom Of Concussion?
Mangles Brass Often Catastrophically?
Makes Beaming (smile) On Coyle?

lancetkenyon,

I like some of your suggestions.:) My son-in-law grew up in Southern California. He said everyone tried to kill each other. He was stabbed or shot eleven times. When he saw "MBOC" he asked, "What's that for? Mexicans, Blacks or Cacations?" He sure sounded serious to me. I told him, "Since I started with a belted magnum case I named it '.224 MBOC' to stand for Magnum, Belted Of Course.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

First I am no means a gun nut or do I claim to be very articulate in this long range shooting world. Your talking to a sliver slinger and 50 yards is long range to me. That said, the good Lord has blessed me with a great career and I find myself going on more out of state hunts with my son and friends. I have been told by some close friends that are much more knowledgeable than me to look at 28 nosler or 300 win mag and have brakes installed. My 13 son will most likely shoot this as well.

What I'm looking for is a rifle that we can hunt antelope too elk with, something that is fun to shoot, not a back breaker to carry and is capable to shooting consistent groups in that 700 yard range. I would really like to have a mag as well.

Sorry for such a subjective question but I figure you all were wet behind the ears once too:)

Thanks
Mike
Hey, my brother in law just borrowed a friends MK17 from SWORD International for a pig hunt in Northern California. He is Canadian so he doesn't have the rifle yet, but he loved the thing, he is a avid hunter up in Canada, and wants to use it for Elk/Moose hunting up in Alberta . He is currently working on getting the rifle imported to Canada, but I am going to order one for myself (Almost saved up enough $$), it can be chambered in 260 REM, which is what I think im going to go with... Anyways, for your answer on something fun to shoot, that can go from Wild Pigs to Elk, I would say check out the SWORD MK17.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.